Chapter 80

"Is everything locked?" James asked waiting near the cab.

"Yes." She confirmed.

That morning it took them longer than usual to leave the house because they wouldn't come back in there for a month. Rafaela looked at it with a sad look and James held her hand.

"Missing it already?" He bent over her to ask, then kissed her cheek. Her head turned to meet his face and she offered him a smile.

"It would be worse if I'd let you go and we wouldn't be able to see each other for that long, but yes... I don't know... it's home. A month seems like a long time."

"You'll see it goes fast." With that James opened the door of the car and waited for her to get in, then he followed her and ordered the taxi driver to the police station.

"I'm nervous." Rafaela said as their way there began.

"I am a bit too." He admitted. "But this is what we wanted, right?"

Rafaela nodded at him, of course it was what they wanted. They wanted to know the truth. "I hope she doesn't have anything to do with this James..." Rafaela said hopeful.

James understood her feelings. Kelly was her best friend, so he bent over her and pecked her lips in his own sweet away. "Stay strong?" He then asked and Rafaela nodded at him. "I thought you were nervous because you're gonna become my wife on the road..." Rafaela ended up giggling. He'd always find a way to distract her. James was so amazing with her.

"Are you?" She asked him.

James shrugged. "No..." His head shook. "Are you nervous about that?"

"No." She kissed him and rested a hand on his face, caressing him. "It seems so right to do it that I am not even nervous."

"Good." He whispered at her and smiling softly.

Soon they arrived at the station. Hawk was the one to received them and then guided them to a room. From a glass they could see another room, where a desk was. They were informed that Kelly would be interrogated in there, and that she couldn't see them and didn't know they would be there. Hawk also told them that he was the one staying with them and Kelly would be interrogated by one of his subordinates, but under strict instructions. They were assured the man knew what he was doing.

While waiting, Rafaela's heart began to pound. She could feel it beating strong on her throat and a lump formed there. She tried to sit but couldn't be still, so she began to pace around, arms folded around her chest, head down. James felt his hands sweating cold, though he decided to sit. His legs bounced up and down anxiously and his eyes followed Rafaela's every move. He saw her hands shake a bit, so when she was about to pass by him, he stretched out an arm and grabbed one of hers.

"Hey...sit here." He told her.

"I can't sit." She argued, but James pulled her down on a chair.

"Stay calm." He asked her, and their eyes locked.

"Are you calm?" She asked back and he shook his head.

Hawk watched that all from a corner of the room. He could see how stressed they were and could only imagine what was going inside of these parents' hearts. He tried to imagine being in their shoes and their kid was one of his own. It must be the most horrible feeling in the world. Suddenly, noise was heard on the other room and the lights went on. Both James and Rafaela jumped of their seats and approached the glass.

"Are you sure she can't see us?" Rafaela asked as she was seeing Kelly sitting.

"No." Hawk said.