Chapter 98

Ava wasn't an easy baby. Until she was two months old, she didn't let her parents sleep more than two hours in a row at night. James and Rafaela would make shifts during the night so they could both sleep some hours. Only after that she began to sleep five hours in a row and letting James and Rafaela rest a bit better. Despite this fact, James was the most tender Rafaela remembered him to be as a parent. He had been wonderful with Liam. She had nothing to point against him on that aspect. He shared his time with him as a baby and helped with the tasks and played with him when he became a little boy. With Ava, he was the same and a bit more. He was always ready to spend time with his daughter. Rafaela couldn't but notice how much he missed being a father and how much he was afraid something would happen to that baby. If he had been protective with Liam, with Ava that protection grew even bigger.

She was too. They were both overprotective, but they were delighted with their new bundle of joy. Even through sleepless nights, they had made the right decision to have that baby. Tony, who had been skeptical all the time about the baby, couldn't but notice, when he'd spend time with the couple as a friend, that Ava was the missing piece for that couple's ultimate happiness. They had become genuinely happy and with Ava. Maybe complete was the right word.

During the first months of Ava's life, James stayed home. He decided he wanted to profit of her without anything else coming in the middle. Then, when she became around five months, he went back to the studio. They began recording the successor of the Black Album. Rafaela also got a job, as a freelancer, so she could work from home. She didn't want to leave her baby in a nursery for she was yet too little, and that way she could still look after her. Life was back on track.

The process of accusing Kelly formally took some time. First, she had refused to confess the murder, but not coping with the pressure the police would put on her every day in interrogations, she gave in. It took nine months until they would finally go to court and see the death of their son closed. That was the day.

James held his daughter under her arms and put her feet on his legs. As nine months old, Ava bounced up and down smiling at her father, happily. Her huge blue eyes staring at him and alternating between smiles and cries, depending on the funny faces he'd make her. Ava was a bit cranky.

"Teeth are such a bugger." James smiled looking at her and she smiled at him as if understanding what he meant. Two little teeth on her lower gum showed and James cracked a laughter. "You're just too cute my princess." He said kissing her cheek. "God... how I love you!" He whispered against her little cheek and Ava shivered as probably his beard tickled her and a baby giggle echoed in their living room. James laughed loud then and pulled her away. "Hey..." He said looking at her. "Think that is funny..." He smiled at his baby girl. Ava frowned and lost the strength on her legs, sitting on her father's legs.

"Da...da...da...da..." She blurted reaching out her little hand at him. Her bright blue eyes staring at him and he couldn't resist to kiss her again.

"Say dada." He told her. Ava just giggled amused. "Come on... say dada... da-da" He insisted. "No..." He said as she tried to grab his nose. "Da-da..." He insisted. Ava giggled looking at him and bounced her arms up and down completely amused with her father's play.

"Stop trying to corrupt her!" Rafaela exclaimed as she entered the living room.

"She's just struggling with her teeth again." He told her as he kissed her lips.

"I know... I had to bring her down here last night." Rafaela complained. "You were sleeping..."

"I'm sorry babe. I was exhausted." He excused himself.

"It's ok." She smiled at him and then at her baby girl. Ava frowned her nose and sniffed as at the same time she smiled at her mother. "Hello there." Rafaela baby talked and Ava giggled loud completely ecstatic. "It's good to have mom and dad to play with you, isn't it?" Ava shook her little arms up and down franticly. James laughed.