Chapter 73

Thursday arrived in no flat time. James had arranged everything for their getaway and there was still some arrangements he needed to do that day, for when she'd arrived from her appointment with Tony. The nervous tingling took care of him, as the time of proposal arrived he felt going on the point of panic. He didn't know how to do it, he didn't know what words to tell her, even if it all seemed so simple. All he had to do was to blurt the question, still he wanted it to be so perfect that he was afraid something would fail. He stopped, looking around his living room, thinking about where to begin first, but his cell rang and yanked him off his trance. As he grabbed the phone his heart began to race, it was his lawyer.

"Hello." James said with his voice shaking a bit.

"James... can you stop by the police station?" His lawyer said without losing time. His hands began to sweat right away. If he had to go to the police station, they had something to tell him.

"What? Did they find something?" James asked, as in during the week all investigations had been in vain.

"Yes. They found something and they need you to come here to check it out, or better to see if you recognize it." The lawyer explained. James felt his world crushing, but he couldn't waste any time.

"I'm going." James said running to grab the keys to his car.

If he didn't take long he'd still have time to prepare everything the way he wanted, because he knew Rafaela would stop by her old house to pack some more boxes. Hanging up the phone, he drove to the police station with shaking hands. Something had been found, even after the guy that fixed the gate affirmed that during the time he was there, he didn't see anyone going inside the property, still he said that for at least half an hour he wasn't there, and the gate was opened, and that time coincided with the time of Liam's accident. James parked the car in front of the police station and felt his legs shaking when he began to walk inside. His chest was coming up and down franticly as he breathed, his hands were sweating and his mouth dry. The lawyer came to receive him and, immediately, took him inside a room, and a detective joined them.

"I'm detective Hawk. " The bald man introduced himself. James shook his hand and sat down, his lawyer by his side. "We found this near the pool. I was right between the pool and the deep grass over there." The detective said showing him a bag with a golden bracelet inside. The bracelet was a little oxidized in the edges. "Is this your girlfriend's? Do you recognize it Mr. Hetfield?"

James grabbed the bag in his hand and looked attentively at the bracelet inside of it. He was clearly shaking; it could be seen as the bag shook in his hand. He looked and looked trying to recognize it as being Rafi' but James shook his head. His heart was racing so much he thought he was going to pass out.

"This doesn't belong to my girlfriend. I don't know who this belongs to." He said choking. Tears came to his eyes and the possibility of Liam being Yanked of their life of purpose began to form bigger in his head.

"Are you sure?" The detective insisted.

"I am sure, this isn't hers." James affirmed. "Maybe her mother's..." He added.

"We already asked, no one recognizes it." Hawk informed.

James threw himself back against the chair feeling the world coming down on his shoulders, that proved someone had been inside the house.

"None of our friends ever claimed to have lost something in our garden. I am also sure of that." He told the detective. "I am quite sure if one of our friends would lose something in our garden , they would say so."

"Is there a chance that your girlfriend can come here to see if she recognizes it? It's important Mr. Hetfield, this might be an important link to your son's death." Hawk asked him. "I know she is in a very delicate situation, but she needs to participate..."