Chapter 53

They walked hand in hand in silence enjoying another day of their holydays, along the beach, bare foot, each holding their flip flops in their other hands. Each one lost in their own thoughts.

"I don't understand..." Rafaela let out loud and James turned his head to look at her.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"The gate..." She said. Then Rafaela stopped walking and turned to him. "I am sure James... I am quite sure that I locked the gate, and the locker was high, he didn't reach it. How is it possible that the gate was open?"

James approached her and cupped her face between his hands. "Baby don't hammer on that. As hard as it is, and it is tremendously hard, we can't keep thinking about that." He said reaching some sanity.

"I know... but I can't accept it. I can't accept that we lost him. I feel so empty..." Her eyes filled with tears and so did his.

"Look baby, maybe he climbed the gate and could already open it and we didn't know about that. He was growing, learning new things all the time." James tried to have an explanation as well. He had thought about it many times too.

"I can't find an explanation for the gate to be opened. You said it right, he was afraid of going inside the water, so why go there? I have so many questions and no answers."

"He probably went to play around it, the rest was tragic." James rested his forehead against hers and she saw his tears rolling down his face, she cried too. They were living such a nightmare.

"Why did this have to happen to us. Why?" She asked and he shook his head softly, a sob escaped his lips and she held onto him close. His arms wrapped around hers too, squeezing her against him as if he was afraid she'd disappear.

"I don't know princess..." He said. "It's just so cruel, we didn't deserve this, we didn't... our boy..." He choked and didn't say anything else.

"Ooh..." Her body shook a bit and he held her even tighter.

"Let's try to survive this babe." He whispered begging her. He knew they could only overcome that pain together. Apart they would collapse.

"I love you." She whispered back. "I love you so much... so much..."

"I couldn't go through this without Rafi."

"Ok..." She pulled back decided and cleaned her tears, then she cleaned his. "We promised we wouldn't cry and would have fun, so let's stop." She said looking in the eyes she loved the most. There was so much pain mirrored in them that she almost started to cry again.

James took the back of his hand to his eyes one more time and then smiled at her. "What if we go for lunch? I am a bit hungry."

"Good. Will you take me for sea food?"

"Whatever you want to do my queen." He pecked her lips and took her off the ground, she giggled.

"Wow... I was promoted from princess to queen!" Rafaela joked.

"You are every royal title there is." He pecked her lips.

They sat at the restaurant with view to the beach and ordered their food, to drink James suggested champagne, and they began to drink before the food was there. Rafaela knew that wasn't right. Let him drink when she had been asking him not to do so was not a smart move, but she thought it had been a few days since he had a drop of alcohol and he seemed alright. Maybe just that time would be alright.

"If we keep drinking like this, I'm going to get drunk." Rafaela laughed.

"And?" James smiled holding her hand. "We just have to manage to stumble until the house safely." He said making her crack a laughter.