Chapter 70

James woke up in the morning to find Rafaela still sleeping. He thought that was the time to call Cynthia to warn her about what was going to happen on the next morning. He slid out of bed gently and pulled the covers over Rafaela's shoulder and then placed a soft kiss on her cheek. Downstairs, Ozzie came running to greet him and he bent over to tap the dog's head tenderly. He has always loved dogs.

"Hey fellow..." He smiled.

As the dog followed him to the kitchen, he served him of some food and filled the other pot with some water, then he went outside. He looked for Cynthia's number on his cell and then pressed dial.

"Hey, Cynthia." He greeted her warmly when she answered the call. He became very fond of Rafaela's parents, though they had a rough beginning.

"James!" She exclaimed visibly happy. "Such a good surprise, how are you?"

"I'm fine and you?"

"I am also good. How's my daughter? I have been trying to talk to her, but she's always in a hurry saying she's meeting you." She laughed. "Do you know anything about her.

"She's fine. She is sleeping." He said mindlessly. Silence was heard on the other end and he understood what he had just said.

"Sleeping? Are you in her house?" Cynthia asked.

"Yes, we're together again." He admitted with a smile on his lips. He could barely keep the happiness inside.

"Oh, James..." Cynthia yelled excited. "I'm so happy, really."

"Thank you. I know you are... I am too..."

"But, why are you calling me?" She asked him, for it was weird he was calling her that soon in the morning.

"I had to call you without Rafi knowing about it. Here's the deal... tomorrow morning a police team is gonna go there. I opened an investigation on Liam's death, and they need to seal the place where we lived and where he died." James explained. That was going to be a hard blow on Cynthia and John too.

"Are you serious?" She asked and he could sense the shock in her voice.

"I am. There are a few things that remain unexplainable and I need to find out the truth. So, they need to go there, and I don't want you guys to be scared or anything. Also, I've talked with Rafi's doctor about it and he thinks it's better if she doesn't know about it just now, you know... not to wake up bad feelings and such."

"I see..." She told him.

Rafaela got to the kitchen and found out that Ozzie was already taken care of and as the door was opened she peeked outside. James was on the phone, even whispering and looked like it was a serious matter. She could see that in all his nervousness gestures.

"James..." She called him and he looked back and waved, then he turned around again and she noticed how he hung up in a hurry. "Hi!" He said coming to her and then kissed her lips.

"Who were you talking to?" She asked promptly.

"No one." He shrugged, but there it was some nervousness signs. He scratched the back of his neck.

"No one?" She curled an eyebrow.

"It was Lars... let it go." He kissed her lips one more time and went inside. She followed him sure he was lying.

"Are you sure you were talking to Lars?" She inquired him again and James nodded.

Then seeing her looking at him so suspiciously he went to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her lips strongly.