Chapter 39

James grabbed the baby and put him in the car. Since he was meeting Rafaela at college, she took the bus that day. The day was warm, and the sun was shining. James played the radio low for the baby was sleeping and sang along Motorhead also low. He felt somehow happy and rested. Rafaela and he were able to talk and sort things out. He wanted things to be alright and was willing to do anything for everything for things to be alright between them. It was enough the pain he felt for having lost another important person in his life, so if being alright with Rafaela meant to keep Kelly away, though he thought she was exaggerating, then he would do it.

He even had a smile on his lips for his heart felt rested that moment when parking the car in front of his girlfriend's college, but the view of the blonde girl also waiting there made his smile vanish and his heart skipped a beat in panic and in disappointment too. Kelly was there as well; one couldn't be that unfortunate. He smelled trouble again. Rafaela would snap, he was sure and all he wanted was to have a quiet lunch with her and their child.

"Oh fuck..." He whispered anticipating the ending of his quiet time.

Nevertheless, he got out of the car and walked up to her. Kelly turned her head to the figure she felt approaching she and then she smiled, but James didn't smile back.

"What are you doing here?" He asked her annoyed.

"I came here to talk to Rafi. She was so upset yesterday that I think it is better if I talk to her." Kelly explained.

"You should stay away Kelly." James said coldly. "If she was upset, then you should just stay away." James knew he was being unfair, after all, Kelly decided to go to college instead of their house as she used to, showing she didn't want to get in trouble with Rafaela, but his family came first.

"I need to talk to her and clarify things. I know her, probably better than you do, so I know Rafi is interpreting things the wrong way. I know she's jealous. I've known her my whole life, so I need to talk to her and make it clear that I am not, not even one bit, interested in you. I am over you, it is true that I only realized that in rehab, but I am over you, totally over you, so I need to tell her that."

"I think you're gonna make things worse, honestly..." James retorted. "I want you away from us Kelly." He said being totally clear.

Kelly curled an eyebrow looking at him. "You think I am after you as well?" She asked and James remained still and silent looking back at her. "Well, I am not. I have a boyfriend and I am in love with him. Robert is the best thing that happened to me in these years. You broke my heart James! Do you think I would ever come back to you? I have some pride! I would never go back to you. First, you broke my heart by cheating on me with another woman, second, that woman was my best friend. I would be insane if I ignored all that." She said.

"You're still bitter!" He affirmed. Maybe Rafaela was right all the time.

"No..." She shook her head. "I am not, really...what you and Rafi have done was awful, but I talked to her a lot about this and she explained you two fell in love with each other. In rehab I learned a lot of things, not only how to control my addiction. I also learned one does not control feelings, so I can't hold anger against Rafi because if I think about it, I know if it wasn't for love she would never do anything like that to me. So I have to forgive her. Proof is, you two are still together until now. Proof is you're asking me to stay away because, I bet, she asked you to and you're willing to do what she asked you because you love her the same way she loves you. Proof is you two have a baby now. I would never go back to you, let alone beg for your love."

"I'm sorry..." James spat, knowing she was right.

"It's ok." She smiled.

"I have Liam sleeping in the car. I better go there." He said. With that he came back to his car, excusing himself Liam was sleeping in there, but the truth was, at least Rafi wouldn't see him near her when she get out. That would spare him some trouble for sure.