(22)

.

Haya.

I knocked at the prayer room door, knowing that my father would be inside at this time

I knocked at the prayer room door, knowing that my father would be inside at this time. I had originally decided to talk to him tonight, but my restlessness had got the best out of me and my feet had dragged me to this very moment. I could not delay this conversation anymore. My father had to know and I was hoping that he would be as supportive as usually was.

I knocked to eyes before poking my head inside the prayer room, finding my father sat on the floor in the middle, praying with both his hands joined.

"Father, can I come in?" I asked, hearing him look up at me in surprise.

He nodded, ushering me inside as he still sat on the floor.

"Ofcourse, Haya. Isn't it too early for you?" He enquired, I hummed.

This was the time that I usually slept at, not the time when I woke up. My father, however was devoted to his prayers and hardly managed to skip any.

"I know that you wake up for fajr." I mumbled, standing in the middle of the room.

The entire room was decorated with Quranic verses and paintings, a few mirrors hung around the walls, the floor was carpeted and tidy.

It was my father's private room. He used to read the holy book in this very room with me sprawled across his lap as a child. It used to be our time.

"Mother's asleep, I suppose?" I enquired, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, sit." He pointed at me, asking me to sit.

I didn't like the choice of my clothes at that time. I hadn't really given them much thought. Frankly, I had simply climbed out of my bed and arrived here.

Still, as I sat on the floor in front of my father, I didn't like my naked legs against the carpet. My father didn't comment or say anything, he just smiled at me.

"You have been avoiding me." He stated, I shook my head in denial even though it was true.

"I haven't."

"It's been a week since I last saw you properly, Haya." He complained.

I loved that about my father. No matter how busy he got, he knew that he had a daughter and sons and a wife. He knew that he had to talk to them and make sure that they were okay. It was one of his very best traits.

"I needed to think a few things through before coming to you." I told him honestly this time, looking at him.

"Have you thought them properly now?" He asked.

I still hadn't.

I had so many questions and concerns but I knew Amir cared about me and I believed in his word, I knew I cared about Amir and I could actually be happy with him. That's all I was trying to focus on right now.