3

My heels clicked softy against the cold wooden floors as I brushed my hands along the fabric. My eyes never left my frame. Each second my imperfections growing bolder and bolder until the ringing in my head made the pace of my heart quicken and the air in my lungs left my body until it was nothing but a hollow burn.

I pull the fabric down hard in a failed attempt to hide my wide hips before pulling out the fabric that hid the pouch of fat over my stomach. The fold hid it well but I knew it was still there.

Mocking me.

I slowly run my finger up the side slit of the dress, my stretch marks loud and proud against my brown skin. I slowly trace them, "I hate you." I mumble softly and look back at my face.

Even with layers of concealer and makeup, my bags could not be hidden. They sat there proudly, screaming of restless nights and stressful days. My big lips frowned under the deep red lipstick. They were bright.

Too bright.

I take a makeup wipe and quickly wipe it off, leaving my natural pink and brown tint. A soft sigh slips past but yet I am not satisfied. My hands gently tap my agitated lips, swollen and bitter tasting.

"Girl, we bout to be late!" Alicia yells from the hallway, her tone slightly out of breath from her rushing. I take a step back, fisting my hands at my sides and tearing my eyes away from the mirror, "Coming!" I call back before looking one more time. Disgust weighs down my heart before I turn towards the door.

My hand hesitates on the door knob before I look back at the closet. I rush over and grab the big grey sweater hanging up neatly. I stop to run my hand down the middle of the sweater. A small white embroidered crown sat on the left breast. I lean in close to examine it before my door rips open, "All females free before 10:30 and it's 9:45! Let's go!" Her hand wrapped tightly around mine as she rushed me towards the door.

My wrist burned where she touched but I remained silent as we stepped into the hallway, "Go 'head and press the button." She waves me away as she turns around the lock the door.

"Okay."

The hallway felt cold as I hesitantly made my way towards the elevator. The dark carpet snatched at my heels as the doors seemed to loom higher and higher as the lights began to dim.

It was a feeling that sunk into your soul.

With shaky fingers I reach into my bag and grab a tissue before wrapping it around my finger and pressing it with my knuckle.

29...28...27...

A soft ding filled the air and rang in my ears as the doors slowly made thier way open. Deep dark brown eyes locked onto mine before I quickly looked to the ground. "Hi." The familiar voice made my eyes widen in surprise, "O-Oh! Hi." I look up as a smile spread across his face as he made his way off the elevator, his eyes keeping mine locked to his. I back away until my back almost pressed against the wall, "E-Excuse me." I mumble softly and look down at my heels, the soft sparkle already making me feel anxious.

A soft laugh left his lips as he stepped to the side but not back, "Where you goin'?" He motions to my outfit with his head and I shrug lightly, "Out.." I look up at him hesitantly and wither on the inside as a small frown took the place of his smile. He hums softly, "You was supposed to feed me." Realization made my eyes widen, "I'm sorry! This was all really last minute and I didn't reali-" His laugh made me shy away as I looked back at my feet, "I-I'm sorry.." I mumble softly and he hums, "No problem.. Another time?" I nod my head shyly, a pink blush settling on my cheeks.

Heels clicked softly as Alicia made her way over, "I could have sworn I contacted the landlord about that lock but o-" She pauses as she looks at Dion then at me and then back at Dion. She points to him, "Who is this?" I look up at him and then back at her as he also waits for my answer. "T-This is Dion.. Our neighbor." I mumble softly and she hums softly, "He scaring you?!" Her voice raises as she steps up again, "Because I can ch-" I quickly move between them, "No!" Her hands that reached for her earrings lowered slowly before she crosses her arms, "Oh..Okay." Her voice hardens and I look back at Dion, who didn't seem worried in the slightest, "Wow.." he mumbles softly and embarrassment floods every cell in my body as I look back down at my feet, "I-I'm sorry!" My voice quivers and a hand lands on my lower back, "Girl, you ain't do nothing wrong. Now get on the elevator.. 120 seconds." I nod and step past Dion slowly, our eyes locking before I continue on my way.

"Yo!" His voice echoed in the hall as I turned back to face him, "Yes?" A smile lifts on his lips, "It's cold.. put on my sweater." My cheeks burned as I looked at the sweater draped over my arm. My hands moved slowly as I unfolded it and slowly slid it down my torso.

I look back at him, "Thank you." He nods his head, his eyes never leaving mine. Alicia coughs loudly, making both of us look at her, "You ready?" I nod my head slowly before waving, "Bye bye..." I mumble softly and he waves back, "Bye."