54

One two three four five six..

I counted the pairs of shoes of all the people sitting around me, each with their own reason to be sitting in this quiet lobby. The silence was heavy beside from coughs and the tv hanging in the corner, playing nothing specific besides commercials and ads.

"You look like a patient.. relax." Dion's voice was soft in my ear as he moved to grab my hand. I squeeze his tight and look over to him, "I-I'm trying not to but it's hard.. What if I don't get it or they hate me?.. It's been years since I worked.." I look towards the front desk as they call a name, catching the attention of a patient who looked pale and tired.

Dion pressed a gentle kiss to my temple, "I know you're going to do great, baby.. You gotta keep you're cool and focus." I nod my head slowly as I look down at our hands, "How am I gonna focus?" I slowly traced his fingers and listened to him sigh softly, "Count.. like you do in the elevators." He gently played with my own fingers, making a small smile lift at my lips, "But I tried counting shoes and it didn't work well.." He hummed softly, pausing for a moment to think. "Did you count on your hand?" I look at him confused, "I only have ten fingers.." He chuckled softly as he grabbed my hand and faced my palm up.

"Write on ur hand..When you get to 20 just repeat.. One two three four..five six seven eight.. nine ten eleven twelve.." His finger gently wrote on my hand, slowly counting up. My eyes followed his movement as I let my head lean on his shoulder, "Thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen.." I count with him and watch his finger count with us.

"Seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty.." He finishes and I take a deep breath before opening his own hand, "One.. two.. three..four.." I count on his hand and let my shoulders relax, "Five.. Six.. Seven.. Ei-" "Jocelyn Davis.." The receptionist calls out and I look to Dion who had a big smile on his face, "She's right here." He calls back and I inwardly scream as I get up and grab my suitcase.

He gently nudged me forward and I look over my shoulder to silently scream before making my way to the front desk.

"Jocelyn Davis? Here for the interview?" She asks and I nod my head, "Yes ma'am.. I was told 3:15 to be here." She hums softly before pointing to down the hall, "Make the first left and go all the way down until you see office 125." She says the number slowly and I nod my head as I mentally take note, "Okay thanks." I give her a smile before walking off in the direction she pointed. I look over my shoulder one last time to Dion who watched me and Tasha who came out the blue.

She waves wildly at me and silently cheers making me hold back a laugh as I turn back and head down the hall.

_________
DION POV;

"You think she'll be good?" Tasha spoke up once Jocelyn turned the corner, leaving us alone in the quiet waiting room. I scoff and nod my head, "Of course she's got this.. She's overqualified for this position anyway." Tasha laughs softly, "I know! She always acts like she's gonna fail then pulls through with flying colors.. Did it all through med school." I smile as I think about her in college, "What was she like in school? Probably a nerd.." Tasha gasps, "Never."

My eyes widen, "She wasn't?" She shook her head, "Biggest weirdo, yes. But nerd? No." She waves her hands, "She would never study then panic during tests and exams.. And spend all her money in the cafeteria because she was obsessed with the cereal bar." I bite my lip to muffle my laugh as Tasha reminisces, "And she was lowkey bad as hell.. She was known for scamming and tricking people for fun. I remember she finessed six hundred from a sugar Daddy to massage her feet.. I ain't think it was possible." She shook her head as she sighed.

She put up a hand as she waved the thought away"And that's not all. She would go to parties all the time but just for the food and would pick pocket drunk guys when they got too close because she thought it was "Karma" for harassing her." She laughed loudly, "Probably how she paid for college if we being real." My eyes widened it I quickly fixed my face as I scoffed.

"Jocelyn was like that?" I raise a brow, finding it hard to believe my Princess, who could barely hurt a fly, steal money from drunk strangers. Tasha's head nod only confirmed it, "Mhm. That's how she met her loser ex. He caught her and confronted her.. Then the rest is history." She leaned back in her chair with a sigh, "He was a business major and psychology minor.. Two red flags.." I roll my eyes and suck my teeth, "That's what I did." She looks me up and down, "Mhm." I do the same and we meet eyes.

Hers narrowed and mine did the same, "There a problem with business majors?" She nodded her head, "Yall are big headed and money obsessed.. Gotta be in control and always trying to be better than everyone else." I struggled to keep my face stone from how hard she read me. "That ain't even true. I'm humble and smart wit money.. dats it." She gives me an eye roll as she finally breaks eye contact, "Yeah okay." She waves me off and I lean away, giving her a small glare, "Yeah aight."

The sound of feet approaching us made me look up to Jocelyn who looked like she was ready to explode. She bit her lip as her feet scurried over to us and stopped in front of me, "I think I did really well and he said he'll message me in a couple days to say if I got the job!" I smile as I stand up and pull her into a hug, which she more then happily accepted as she bounced up and down.

"Girl you know you're getting the job."
__
Jocelyn POV:

The familiar voice made me peek out of Dion's arms to see Tasha standing beside us. I gasp and let him go to grip her up in a tight hug, making us burst out in giggles.

"How you ain't notice me standing here next to him?" She snaps gently and I shrug, "I just look for Dion and B line to him usually.. I ignore everyone else." I giggle and she shakes her head, "Well I need that energy too.. Add me to the list, girl." I nod my head and look to Dion who smiled proudly, "We can celebrate with a nice lunch? Get something to eat because I'm hungry as hell right now." I hum in agreement and grab his hand, letting him pull me into his side.

"I think some chocolate chip pancakes sounds good." I smile knowing he's gonna take me to my favorite diner already. He shakes his head, "All you eat is pancakes." I giggle and nod my head, "I know."
___________

Authors Note:

Anyway, how y'all doing and y'all fw dis chapter? ALSO MERRY CHRISTMAS AAAH

ALSO MERRY CHRISTMAS AAAH