Chapter 26

I sit with Chloe and Bella, two girls I met at the party, while the others sit on the other sides of us. We sit across the guys and some other girls at the same table, I'm sitting right in front of Nick and Kio.

"Good Evening Emma," Kio says in this mocking sweet voice.

"Fuck you," I tell him.

"That's right, fuck me," he smirks.

"So what are we gonna do? Why were y'all all super excited?" I ask annoyed.

"You wanna know what we're gonna do?" A boy I recognize asks. I look at him folding my lips and nodding my head.

"Fugitive. We're gonna play a game of fugitive," Kio finishes for him. Everyone gets excited except for me.

Games like that are wild, and dangerous. I don't even know if I'm up for that. I look at Kio examing his face carefully as he does mine.

"Well first lets have a drink!" Chloe yells and everyone cheers.

After a little bit of drinking I see Kio check his phone and he looks upset. He rolls his eyes then moves to stand up.  As much as I'm glad for him to leave I'm stuck looking at Nick. I smile awkwardly which makes him move the girl off his lap. I feel pride at the movement.

I sit at the table hearing everyone talk while scrolling through my phone until I feel a wet liquid on me. I look down at my skirt and someone spilled water on my lap. I groan and angrily head to the bathroom. I grab towels from against the wall. I dab my skirt noticing it actually doesn't look that bad. I hear mumbling outside the room and decide to check it out.

When I step out Kio is against the wall with an angry face, kind of looks like he's trying to avoid crying. When he sees me he covers his face with his hands. He frown and go over to him. I grab his hands and pull them off his face. When I look up to him we make eye contact and he has such a vulnerable face I'm not used to.

"What's wrong? If you don't mind me asking," I ask.

"It's my dad. He didn't come home again today. My mom thinks he's high again," he sighs. I don't even know what to tell him so I just look at him with a sad look.

"I know it stupid, stop wasting you're time and go sit down with the girls."

"It's not stupid. You're worried for him."

"But I mean I shouldn't be expecting different. Sometimes I just want him to step out of our lives because I'm tired of waiting for him. We get all the money from him but it's makes me even more depressed," he says.

"Can I tell you something? My dad left us due to drug and a alcohol abuse. He left when I was 10 and for the next 5 years after that my mom went through an awful stage. But as much as I loved and missed him I despised him. Even before he left he was always doing drugs and shit. It made me so mad and I just wanted the stress to be gone, I wanted him to be gone. Some people like us don't always get lucky. But it's best if stuck by them because it's not till after they're gone where you realize how much you miss them," I feel so relieved after telling him this. I've never opened up that much to somebody, not even...Nick.

He was listening so intensely to me which makes me feel even better. We understand each other. His eyes look plead full as I lean in.

"Kio!" we get interrupted. Mandy darts down to our hands, I didn't even remember still holding them.

Kio let's go and wipes his face off turning his attention to Mandy.

"It's time to play!" She claps her hands.