twenty three: cat cafe

hullo if you're new misto's owner is a nonbinary sweetheart named wren, and tugger's owner is a college student called hannah
also misto has a massive crush on tugger (who doesn't), they're not dating (yet 😉)

misto pov
i try not to move too much as my human carries me. we're going to a very important magic show at a cat cafe. which basically means people can bring their cats and drink coffee while watching a magic show. i'm a little nervous, but i can't let wren know. normally, i wouldn't be nervous, but i found out that hannah has a ticket, and she'll be bringing tugger. i'm excited that he'll get to see me perform, but what if i mess up?? what if he doesn't even like the show??
wren pulls me from my thoughts. they set me down onto the makeshift vanity in our makeshift dressing room. they take my custom-tailored jacket out of their rehearsal bag, though this, most certainly, is not a rehearsal.
wren also slips my hat over my ears. i purr at them, rubbing my cheek against their hand.

•••

     "please welcome wren jackson and mister mistoffelees!"
     the crowd of people applaud and wren walks out of the wings and onto the stage. i follow, trying not to look at the audience, but i do and i catch tugger's eye immediately. he smiles at me and i feel like i might fall over right then. the sensation feels like cold fire, rushing through my limbs and making me take a sharp inhale.
i can't mess this up!
     wren and i go through the routine almost perfectly, making mistakes that only we could catch.
     after the show, wren does this meet-and-greet thing with me. the child-humans love it, and i guess i do too. tonight, wren thought it'd be fun for me to meet some of the cats in the audience. nonono i'm good.
     oh god no hannah and tugger are in the line, send help, sos.
     five more people. keep a good attitude.
     four, can i make it to the door?
     three, what will he think of me?
     two, god i wish i had the flu.
     one, nearly done!
     "hi hannah! i didn't know you'd be here!" wren says, embracing their friend. "what'd you think of the show?"
     tugger smiles at me and says "you did so well!"
     i blush so hard. "thanks. you too."
     mentally, i throw myself into the blessed pits of hell. it's safer there.
     tugger laughs. thank god, he thought i was joking. i laugh too.
     "really though, you're good at what you do."
     i practically melt. i'm a snowman. i smile so wide i might break my face. "thank you. i couldn't do it without wren though." i say, looking up at my human.
     "oh, please, misto. you're the greatest magician out of all the jellicles!"
     i blush again. lots of people (and cats) call me misto, why does it drive me crazy when he does it??
    "i was thinking, maybe, did you wanna go out sometime?" he says, completely changing the subject.
     before i can answer, wren says "okay misto, say bye to hannah and fluffy!"
     god fucking dammit, wren.