eighty three: idfk just read it

uh teen-misto and teen-tugger are neighbours and communicate with notebooks

misto pov
     i place the very last period at the end of my essay, leaning back in my desk chair, feeling very accomplished.

i notice a light flashing through my window and i immediately scramble for my sketchbook. it's not necessarily a sketchbook, because i don't sketch things, i write in bold sharpie.

      i find a green marker and sit on my bed in front of the window. i write 'hey' in big letters and hold it up to the window.

     tugger's paper says 'hiiii :D'

     i smile and write. 'what's up?'

     'was thinking about—' he flips to the next page quickly and scribbles. 'you'

    i really hope he can't see me blushing right now. 'aww'

     'what are you doing?' he tugs on his curtains to make them more open.

     'finished my essay!!' i draw a little party hat beside it.

     tugger claps his hands and grins widely at me.

      i pretend to bow and accept the adoring cheers of my fans.

      he picks up his notepad and writes 'hang out?'

     'it's almost midnight!'

     'yea and?' he turns the page again and gives me puppy-dog eyes. 'i miss you :('

     i roll my eyes and write 'fine, be there in a jif'

     i put the cap back on the marker and close the curtains, winking not-so-subtly at tugger. i don't see his reaction but i'm sure it was worth it.

     i put on a sweater i stole from him, wiggling around after for no reason. i do that, does anyone else?

      i open my door silently and sneak past my parents' room, then victoria's room.

      when i reach the stairs i let out a small breath and let myself be a little louder.

      i walk into the kitchen and get a quick glass of water, before opening the back door.

      i make sure to look around the yard, just in case there's zombies or something.

      then i walk to the tree in between our two properties. neither of us know whose house it belongs to, so it's our tree.

      when we were kids, we built a treehouse. yeah, that treehouse ended up being a great place to make-out. i smirk at all the lovely memories.

      i lean against the tree and wait for the familiar footsteps, but they don't come.

      i look around the other side of the tree, and tugger's already there. i jump back like four meters.

     "jesus! how long have you been there?"

      "like ten minutes, why?" tugger says coolly, scooting around to sit right beside me.

      "you've been out here longer than me?" i ask, taking his hand. i saw him yesterday at school but i still missed him.

      tugger chuckles. "yeah, i heard you coming. i just liked the feeling of us being together and... well i don't know."

      i put my head on his shoulder and close my eyes.

      "is that my hoodie?" he asks suddenly.

      "yeah," i respond, not moving.

      "when did you get that?"

      "you gave it to me the other day."

      "no, i know, but... you're wearing it?"

     i lift my head and give him a quizzical stare. "yeah..?"

     a small smile. "oh. that's really cute," he whispers.

     "is it?" i question. "that's a normal thing couples do."

     "i know, i just... aw," he says. when i look a bit closer at him, is that a hint of... bashfulness?

     "are you blushing?"

     "no!" he answers way too quickly. "i'm... too hot."

     "damn right you are," i mutter, just to see what would happen. and as i suspected, he gets even redder.

     "you're the worst," he laughs, pushing me gently.

      "sorry, let me restart," i say. i pretend to yawn and put my arm around tugger's shoulders. "so, come here often?"

     "no," he says bluntly.

     "no, you have to give me something to work with," i whisper, as if to keep it from a nonexistent audience.

"fine," he whispers back, then returns to his normal voice. "yes, i do."

"really?" i say, breaking character. "and you say i'm bad."

"ex-cuse me?" he says.

"it's true!"

tugger scoffs and says in a mock-child voice. "i'm gonna go on the trampoline."

he stomps away and climbs onto his trampoline and flops down very dramatically.

i follow him and lay down beside him, letting myself be pressed against him. "are you mad at me now?"

      "i could never ever never," he replies.

      i don't know what to say, so i say nothing and turn to look up at the stars. the sky is very clear tonight, so you can see basically every constellation.

     then, i see a light turn on in my house, then the light in my room. uh oh.

     tugger sees this too, and i resort to staying as still as possible. if i don't move, they can't see me.

•••

     "where the hell were you last night?" my father says when i walk downstairs the next morning, still wearing tugger's sweater.

     "what do you mean?"

     "do not try and play dumb with me, mistoffelees." oh wow, the full name, i'm in trouble.

     "i was in the backyard getting some fresh air." it's only a half lie...

      "you better not have been with that neighbour boy. you two are awfully close nowadays," he spits, his words dripping with distaste. "you better not be... you know."

     "i'm not gay, dad, i promise," i say, no, i lie. i'm gay as fuck. "i don't even like him. he's annoying and arrogant." my own words hurt me more than my father's.

        tugger is only arrogant until you really understand why.  his brother is constantly getting better grades in school (tugger's words not mine), and tugger's really really trying, but he can't keep up, and he compensates by pretending to be vain and hanging out with people who—

     "did you get your homework done?" dad asks, still not dropping the rude tone; but i guess i can't blame him. he's my dad and he has a right to speak to me like that or something.

     "yes, i'm handing it in today."

     "good."

     and with that, my typical morning had begun; the first thing on the list is 'be ridiculed by dad for being dumb, gay, or a bitch', of which i am all three. a triple threat if you will.

       idk why i need to make tugger sad all the time and munkstrap be the bad guy. i promise i love my strappy boy

wait don't say it like that—