fourty four: camp part 2

hi so i got this idea at like 3 in the morning. i couldn't sleep, but i needed to write this down. this is what tired me wrote (unedited): beach day! misto is drooling at tugger's abs (same) and tugger slips him a note that says to meet him back at the beach that night. he's a dork so candles and shit. sex???
so... i think that's an accurate description of my personality.
irl friends, can you confirm?

anywho

misto pov
ah yes. beach day. the fourth day of the week where sand is tracked through the cabin and never leaves. i think there's more sand in the beds than the whole beach.
normally, i'd hate beach day, but with tugger here... it's not so bad. don't get me wrong, i love the beach, just not when there's 50,000 yelling children i'm in charge of.
on beach day, the counsellors take shifts in the water and sitting on towels (we're supposed to make sandcastles and such, but the kids prefer to do it by themselves).
right now is my shore shift, and tugger's on water shift. and, my god. this is gonna get a bit weird, so just let it happen.
the thought of him wearing nothing but his swim shorts is enough to make my entire face look sunburnt.
tugger is playing 'marco, polo' with a big group of campers and a few counsellors. the water goes up to his hips, so my view is unobstructed. honestly though, how can someone be so perfectly toned? or look so good with wet hair? or when he goes underwater, and comes back up, he does that thing all pretty boys do where they flip their hair. ugh i'm so pleased he's mine. most of the other leaders know we're dating, but we're not really supposed to tell the campers. and our director is kinda homophobic, so that's an added... bonus.
i blink a few times, suddenly feeling the heat of the sun. i catch tugger's eye and he smiles seductively and winks dramatically. jesus.
i wink back, but not as theatrically. he smiles bashfully, and tries desperately to hide it. i pretend not to see, for his ego's sake.
     the lifeguard on duty blows the whistle, which means it's time for the counsellors to switch. i roll my eyes and stand up, pulling my shirt off swiftly. tugger saunters towards me, looking me up and down with curious eyes. my first instinct is to continue pulling my clothes off, but there are still kids here, so that's definitely not an option.
     as tugger and i come into earshot of each other, he jerks his head up in a "'sup" sort of motion. (i know you just did that. don't lie). "hey gorgeous." he purrs.
     "hi" i squeak, not slowing my pace. i can't stop now, i have to do my job.

•••

     finally, the whistle goes again, and all the kids collectively say "awww" and resentfully trudge out of the water to their respective towels.
     thank god all 6 of my campers are still alive. if they'd drowned or something i would have so much paperwork to do.
     i pick up the blanket i brought and shake a ton of sand off it, and a folded piece of paper. i snatch it from the ground as fast as i can. i unfold it and read the words quickly:

               misto
                  meet me here after campfire ;)

                                  tugger

     i shove the note into my backpack, blushing violently, and hoping none of the campers noticed; they didn't.

•••

     at campfire that night, tugger was awfully touchy. it was really cute. at one point, he put his leg on top of mine. another time, he shifted so close to me, that he was basically on top of me (which i'm definitely not mad about).

     all the campers make the quiet, half-asleep journey back to their cabins. when my cabin group is all there, i tell them i have a counsellor meeting and i'll be back in a couple minutes.
     i wait until the main office's lights turn off, then i start running towards the beach. our camp in right on the lake, so it's a quick jog across two whole soccer fields.
    halfway there, i stop to catch my breath, not wanting to be all pant-y when i meet him.
     i push the gate which is already slightly ajar. a light glows from around a couple of stray bushes. i keep walking forward, and i see tugger sitting on a nice blanket with... let me get the number right... 85,279 candles (same).
     "hey! long time, no see, buck-a-roo!" he calls once he sees me. we've always been fond of nicknames, but that one's new.
     i chuckle. "buck-a-roo?"
     "yes, buck-a-roo," he says, as if it's been around forever. "do ya' like it?"
     i sit beside him on the blanket, kissing his cheek ever so gently. "i love it."
     when i draw back, he gives me a confused look. "you missed."
     "what?"
     tugger leans forward and pecks me on the lips. "you missed."
     i laugh "ohh."
     there's a not-so-awkward silence. we're used to the quiet. i unceremoniously lie down in his lap, my head resting on his thighs.
     he pets my hair subconsciously, staring at the water.
     i close my eyes and listen to the lake, my breathing, his breathing, my heartbeat, his heartbeat.
     "what do you think happens when we die?" i ask very suddenly, even startling myself.
    "hm? oh," he asks, snapping out of his daze and pausing for a moment. "i'd like to think our spirits become the embodiment of feelings. like, the feeling you reside with the most. like when you feel something you've never really felt before. that's a person showing you a meaningful part of themselves. and that becomes our eternity; is letting other people feel new feelings. " he laughs a bit after and whispers "that doesn't even make sense does it?"
     "wow. that was... beautiful." i say, astonished. "i was just gonna day something dumb like 'we'll go to hell because we're gay.'"
     he smiles really genuinely at this, still not making eye contact with me.
     another comfortable hush falls over us. this time, though, i stare up at him, my eyes tracing his jawline.
     tugger glances down at me. "enjoying the view?"
     "very much so." i reply slyly.
     smiling, he gently places his hand on my cheek, staying silent once more.
     "what 'cha thinkin' about?" i say, blinking slowly.
     tugger blushes. "you," he whispers. "what you like about me, and stuff."
     "ooooh can i tell you?"
     "please do." he laughs. his smile makes my heart swell with adoration.
    "well, you're romantic," i say. "you're protective, but you're still the most selfless person ever. you're strong, and yet you're still vulnerable. you make me feel so valid, and seen, and... loved." i whisper the last part, looking up into his hazel eyes."you're... perfect. and i mean that with every ounce of sincerity."

we love sharing our feelings don't we

     ps i cried while writing this. there's multiple possible reasons
     a) i want somebody to tell me why they like me. i'm anxious and need reassurance constantly.
     b) allergies ig i don't know man
     c) i tried writing a scene where misto sees a lobster or something but i get so freaked out by sea creatures i just could not