fourty nine: camping!!

i was re-reading one of my best friend's books (my angel, pandaabc2000 's 'Shifted' love you <3) and i got this idea

misto pov
i've never been camping. it just wasn't really a thing that happened when i was younger.

i shift nervously in the passenger seat, bouncing my leg.
"you okay?" tugger asks, putting his hand on my knee. i gently push it off.
"hands on the wheel, mister."
he purses his lips. "that's not an answer."
     "sorry, i'm just anxious," i say, glancing out the window.
     he smiles apologetically. "we don't have to go if you don't want to," he says, hand once again resting on my leg.
     "no, no, that's fine. i'm excited, really," i say quickly. "i just don't know what to expect, that's all."
     "well, when we get there, we'll set up the tent, then we'll make a fire, make some spider-dogs and—"
     "what the fuck is a spider-dog??" i ask, my eyes wide. my best guess is... possibly a... you know what, i have no idea.
     "it's when you cut a hot dog in quarters, but not all the way, so when it cooks it looks like a little spider..?" he says, clearly amazed i've never heard of one.
     "ew. it sounds scary."
     he laughs. "yeah, a little. it's cool to watch the little limbs curl up."
     i shift even more in my seat. "gross! don't say that!!!" i say, smacking his forearm gently.

•••

"are there, like, bears or something out here?" i ask nervously as i thread the metal poles through the top of the tent.
"probably not."
i jerk my head up. "what do you mean, 'probably' ?"
"i mean, bears probably won't be around here." he says a-matter-of-factly.
i take his answer and push the end of the pole into the ground. tugger unzips the tent and starts going in, when i stop him.
"what are you doing? you can't wear your shoes in there!"
he maintains eye contact as he continues going inside the tent, with his fucking shoes.
"i'll tackle you. like they do in football," i threaten, knowing very well that i wouldn't be able to hurt him if i tried.
"will you?" tugger raises an eyebrow and smirks. "prove it."
i fling myself onto him, and he lets me push him down. my triumph is short-lived, as he flips us over, leans down, and kisses me.
"i win, but i'm pretty sure they don't do that in football." tugger says bluntly, smiling stupidly.
i roll my eyes. "fine. but take your shoes off anyway?" i pout, softening my eyes.
tugger hesitates a second, before getting off of me. "i will at bedtime."

•••

"oh my god, tugger, please don't burn yourself," i say as i watch tugger light the fire with a cigarette lighter.
"i won't, baby, i promise— ow, fuck!" he jerks his hand away quickly, shaking it.
i reach out and take his injured hand, examining it. "you're so stupid. i love you."
"i'm not dying, mistoffelees," he says, pulling his hand out of mine. "i'm fine. it's getting dark, i have to start the fire."
"do it safely then."
"lose the tone and i'll think about it," he says, with the same tone i used, like a hypocrite.
finally, he manages to get a decent fire started and he makes the spider-dogs. they're strange; he was right, it is kind of interesting to watch the little 'limbs' curl.
when the first couple are cooked, he passes me one on a paper plate. i try picking it up by the middle, but i pause, staring at it. "how am i supposed to eat this?"
"call me a sadist, but i do this," he says, ripping one of the little 'limbs' off and eating them one-by-one. i copy him.

then, he pulls out a bag of giant white marshmallows. "ready for a sticky mess?" he asks.
"that's not the first time i've heard you say those words." i mutter, taking the bag from him and opening it.
tugger stares at me with wide eyes and raised eyebrows, definitely blushing. i smile innocently at him, as i pass him a marshmallow and a pokey, roasting stick thing.
he still looks a bit flustered as he holds the white ball of sugar over the smooth orange flames. i do the same, except he lets his marshmallow catch on fire.
"you like them burnt?" i ask, furrowing my brow at him.
"you don't?"
"no, you know why?" i mutter. "because i'm normal"
"well excuse me." he says in a fake-mad tone.
we stay silent for a few beats, before i turn to him again. "i'm sorry, that was really mean."
tugger takes me free hand in his. "it's fine, baby, don't worry."

after we finish the marshmallows, i somehow managed to climb into tugger's lap, snuggling into him. he wraps his arms around me almost instinctively. we stay like that for probably an hour, before i suddenly am snapped back to the present. i look up at tugger, who is carrying me into the tent.
"i'm sorry, baby, you fell asleep and you looked so cute, i didn't want to wake you up," he whispers. "go back to sleep."
i nod and gladly do as i'm told. tugger sets me down in the unzipped sleeping bag, lying down beside me. he zips the zipper and holds me tightly against him.

•••

i'm shaken awake by tugger. "baby wake up, the tent isn't waterproof, and it's raining,hard."
i follow him out of the tent, carrying our extra blankets and sleeping bag, as we sprint to tugger's truck.
he opens the door for me and i climb in, panting.
"well. at least we know the fire's out." he mutters, closing the door and wiping his face with his hand to get the water out of his eyes.
"i'm still really tired though." i say quietly, definitely implying i want to be cuddled.
he gets the memo and opens his arms to let me sleep on his chest. "c'mere."
and with that, i fall asleep to the rain on the roof, and tugger's slowing heartbeat.

hi idk what to say but i feel like i should say something so.....

uhhh angel if you're reading this (you know who you are) ily <3