thirty one: dead son of a bitch

another sad human au :(

⚠️tw: f slur⚠️

tugger pov
     as misto and i walk through the bustling nighttime city, i can't help but feel at peace. every once in a while, our hands will brush, and it gives me butterflies every time, even though we've been married for a year and a half.
i look around at all the brilliant lights, starry eyed. i listen to our footsteps on the sidewalk, the motors of cars to our left, idle chatter of everyone around us. the smell of the relaxing evening makes my muscles loosen. a breeze runs by us, ruffling my hair. cold needles of air make their way through my jacket, giving me goosebumps.
as we continue walking, neither of us talks. we really don't need to, we're almost psychic. we finish each other's—
"sandwiches!" misto says very suddenly.
"what??" i turn my head, furrowing my brow.
"there's a sandwich place, wanna get sandwiches?"
"we just got dinner, baby." i point out.
misto stops abruptly and stomps his foot a little.
i chuckle at him. "you really wanna get sandwiches huh?"
he crosses his arms and playfully glares at me. "yes."
i hold my hand out for him to grab. "c'mon, let's get this bread."

•••

misto pov
i push the door open and step back into the night. tugger follows, carrying the bag containing the precious sandwiches.
"home?" i look up at him expectantly.
"yea, let's go home." he says.

•••

     on the way back to our tiny little apartment, we're waiting at a stop-light, and i get a strong urge to kiss his cheek, so i did.
     he looks at me and smiles. however, our moment is short lived. some guy across the street yells "faggot!"
     tugger's head snaps in the direction of the voice. just at the right time, light turns to the little LED man, indicating we can cross. tugger takes no notice.
     he walks briskly in front of the cars, i follow. "what did you just say?" you wanna go? you wanna fucking go?!" he replies, squaring his shoulders.
     "woah woah woah, man, i'm not tryna start a fight," the guy says, holding up his hands.
    "yeah, then what the fuck did you just say to my husband??"
     at this, the guy's eyes widen, and he takes a few steps back. "i'm sorry, man, i didn't realize..."
    "yeah, you didn't realize. i'm sure." tugger spits back sarcastically.
     "really my man, i-"
     tugger grabs the guy's shirt in his fist. "say it again, to my face. i dare you."
     i take a couple steps forward. "uh, tugger! maybe you shouldn't-" i cut myself off with a gasp. there's blood. tugger's bleeding.
     the guy yanks a very red pocket knife out of my husband and sprints away. people are honking their horns and running out of their cars; some to chase down the guy, and some running to mine and tugger's side.
     i drop to my knees as he slumps down against the pavement. i press my hand against the gaping hole in his flesh, trying to keep him alive.
     "someone call 911!!" a woman shouts, but deep down, we all know it's game over.
     "hey, it's okay, i'm okay." tugger coos, taking my hands in his, shushing my sobs. "i'm fine, baby, it's alright."
     "does anyone know first aid?!" another bystander shouts.
     "no, no, nonono" i blubber, curling myself around his dying body, trying my absolute best to make time go back. all i want is to go back to that stoplight and resist that stupid urge to kiss his stupid face. this is all my fault!
     i start to feel tugger's grip on my back loosen, and i pull away to see his eyes glassy. in a flash, i immediately put my index and middle finger just under his jawline. his pulse is there but very faint.
     then comes the sound that i used to despise, but is now both of our lifeline: an ambulance.
     before i know it, people are pulling me off tugger, and lifting him onto a stretcher.
     one of the paramedics looks at me and asks "you his partner?"
    "y-yeah, i'm his husband." i say quickly
     "'right, step insi—"
     we're cut off by a singular note being held, then the word "clear!" is shouted, but nothing progressive seems to have happened.
     my husband is dead.

hoooo that was sad. i'm not okay now. jesus
okay bye