thirty: goodbye

sad human au :(

misto pov
i pass tugger his second overpacked suitcase, ignoring the plummeting feeling in my belly as i do so. he smiles sadly and says "thanks."
i feel tears welling in my eyes. i lean forward and he puts his arms around me.
"do you really have to go?" i whisper.
"it's only three months baby, i'll be back before you know it," tugger whispers back, burying his face into my neck.
i let go, though i hate doing it. tugger does too, but he grabs both my hands. "it'll be okay. i'll text you every night, and i'll facetime you as much as possible." he gives my hands a little shake, his eyes boring into my own. i nod.

•••

on the way to the airport, i focus intently on the grey pavement. just thinking about the whole three months i'll be alone makes my bottom lip tremble.
tugger finally breaks the silence, "i promise, misto, i'll send you emails if i have to."
i take a deep breath, and i try to swallow the lump in my throat, but it doesn't help.
(i've never been to an airport please have mercy)
the airport comes into view and i find an adequate parking spot. we step out of the car and our eyes meet once again.
"so this is goodbye," i start.
"y'know i don't really like 'goodbye,' it's too formal for me." tugger says. "how about 'see you later?'"
"'see you later' is good." i agree.
we share a moment just staring at each other, enjoying the silence.
i start rambling. "well, have fun at this fancy new college, study hard, and uh, take lots of pictures, make some new friends..." by this point, tears are streaming down my cheeks. tugger reaches out to hug me, but i step away.
i look up at him wistfully. "see you later, tugger."
"see you later, misto." and with that, he turns on his heel and walks away.

god, this is going to be a long three months.

hi just letting you know i cried writing and editing this