fifty nine: wisdom teeth

hi human au where tugger gets his wisdom teeth removed
     (for research i watched a lot of youtube videos after people's surgeries and i highly recommend)

misto pov
     i shift a little in my seat. it's been an hour and a half since they put tugger under, so i should be allowed to see him any moment now.

     i recognize one of the nurses, she meets my eyes, and walks over to me.

     "you can come in and see him now," she says, smiling before adding "he's still waking up, so he's not going to make much sense."

     "he never makes much sense," i mention, and the nurse laughs. i follow her through the hallway and she opens one of the many doors to let me in.

     tugger doesn't notice me at first, he's having a very intense conversation with one of the other nurses.

     "cats can't be allowed on trains, i'm telling you!" he says, wide eyed. skiiimbleshaaanks theeeee raiilwaaay cat!

     "have you ever seen a cat on a train?" the nurse asks.

     tugger looks away and stares at the floor, concentrating. "no, but—" he realizes i'm here, and his expression changes. "who are you?"

     i walk over and sit in an empty chair next to the bed. "my name is mistoffelees, i'm your husband..?"

     "you're... my husband?" he asks, his eyebrows raised.

     i nod, taking his hand gently. "i am."

     "that's good," he says, relaxing a bit. "because you're pretty."

     i laugh a bit. "whats that supposed to mean?"

     "i'm happy that you're already my husband, so i don't have to ask you to marry me, i already did."

     "i'm glad we're married too."

     tugger looks to the side suspiciously, then looks back at me. "is it a secret?" he whispers.

     "no it's not a secret."

     "oh. okay," tugger says, adjusting his head on the pillow.

     "how do you feel, baby?" i ask after a moment.

     "i feel... highhh," he slurs. "wait a tick, wait a tick. did you call me a baby? i'm not a baby!"

     "you call me baby all the time."

     "i do?"

     i nod. "lots of times."

     as tugger takes this information in, a new nurse comes in. "ready to go home?" he asks him.

     "i want to go to mistoffelees' house." tugger says, with an attempted wink, though it's more just him blinking purposefully in my direction.

     "lovey, we live together,"

     tugger considers this, and says "okay."

•••

     i managed to get munkustap to drive both of us home, so i could sit with tugger and make sure he's okay. tugger's in the middle seat, and i'm on his right.

     "i'm tired," tugger says, putting his head on my shoulder.

     "i know, honey, once we get home and you take your medicine, we can take a nap together, okay?" i say.

     "you're a nice person." he says, looking up at me. he lifts his head and squints. "why are you being so nice to me?"

     "because i love you."

     tugger gasps. "you love me?"

     i nod. "i love you."

     "i love you too," he slurs. "not just because you're a nice person though. you know what else?"

     "what, sweetheart?"

     "you're gorgeous,"

     "you're quite handsome yourself." i say, taking his hand again.

     "is that why you married me?" he asks.

     "that and you're the most charming, chivalrous, and considerate person i've ever met."

     tugger leans back for a moment, the suspicious expression returning. "are you flirting with me?"

     "i would go so far as to say that i am."

     "hey, those words all start with c," he mutters, looking down a little. "that's called... anesthesia."

     "no, baby, that's alliteration."

     "same thing."

     "no, anesthesia is the drug—" i sigh. "yeah, baby. they're the same thing."

hi this was mostly dialogue but its fine

      so if theatre doesn't work i'm gonna be an anesthesiologist, but i probably won't be able to keep it together because of all the weird shit people say. i'll prolly get used to it, but still

(also this has 669 words. nice)