Thanks For Pretending With Me

Chapter 19:

Haliee-

For the last two weeks, I’ve performed, been around Luke all day- for three days out of the week- and I feel empty. I feel empty, like I shouldn’t be able to do what I do. I shouldn’t have the chance to perform, I’m not happy anymore. I miss being happy- and being happy was being with Luke- and I hadn’t been happy in God knows how long. I miss it, a lot. I attempt to find Luke in the halls of the place in Wisconsin we’re performing at. I finally hear him singing in one of the rooms. He’s sitting on a couch singing quietly and looking through his phone. I knock on the door and he nods for me to come in.

“Are we planning on doing something today? I didn’t get anything from management.” Luke checks his phone.

“No.”

“Is somebody hurt? Are they okay? Is somebody hurt?” Luke panics.

“No.”

“Oh god are my parents here?”

“No.”

“Did something happen?”

“No.”

“Then why are you talking to me? You never talk to me unless you have to.” Luke asks, concerned and confused.

“Can you do something for me?” I ask, sitting down next to him.

“Yeah, sure, anything.”

“Can we pretend everything is okay for a while? Just for a few minutes. I could really use it.” I look at him, my voice drying, signaling that I’m going to cry. Luke wraps his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. God, I’ve missed his smell, his arms, how he holds me like everything is going to be okay. I start to cry, I haven’t cried since we broke up. He rubs my back and holds me tight. I miss this. I miss HIM. I can’t be here any longer, I need to leave this tour. 

“Can I kiss you?” Luke asks. I look up at him and nod, crying still. He gives me a passionate kiss, I can feel how much I miss him everywhere right now. I respond to the kiss, THIS is why I can’t be here. I love him. So much, so, so much. I feel the cool metal of his lip ring on the side of my mouth. He pulls back and presses his forehead to mine.

“I’m sorry.” He whispers.

“I know.” I whisper.

“I love you.” 

“I love you too.” I lay my head on his shoulder. I try to stop crying and pull myself together. I take deep breathes, when finally I stop. I sit up and wipe my tears.

“Thanks for pretending with me.” I look at him.

“Anytime, love.” Luke’s voice cracks, he looks like he’s about to cry, which causes me to cry.

“Excuse me.” I say, standing up and leaving the room. I run out into the bus. Thank god nobody is in there. I grab all of my things frantically and pack them up. I find my computer and look for a ticket back to LA. I book the soonest one and call Jare to drive me. He quickly finds one of the cars we use to travel places. I throw my stuff in and get in the car.

“Where you going Hale?” Jare asks.

“The airport.” I say, shameful.

“Haliee.” Jare replies, seriously.

“Please, Jare?”

“Do you expect me to explain that I let you leave?”

“I’ll call them and say you didn’t take me, that I called a cab. Please, I need to leave now.” I start to cry again. Jare sighs and turns the car on.