Charles Smith: I Knew you Would

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: Charles saves you from a group of O'Driscolls.

Word Count: 1300

Charles was silent during the whole ride to the O'Driscoll camp. Neither three of his companions could read any clear emotion on his face but they still knew exactly what he was feeling, what he was thinking.

Normally, this wouldn't be a cause for concern. He was often silent, a man a few words, but it was making his company uneasy. They were worried about him and about you, a part of them wished that he would say something and open up about how he was feeling but they wouldn't press him on the matter. Once they knew you were fine, he would be fine as well.

Arthur, Sadie and John were riding by his side, having instantly offered their assistance when they caught word of you being in trouble. You had been taken by a group of O'Driscolls when a job got messy and as soon as Charles heard, he was planning on bringing you back home.

The four outlaws arrived at the small O'Driscoll camp, dismounting their horses and crouching down to scout out the camp. They watched the quiet camp, deciding on the best course of action.

Almost simultaneously, their gazes landed on you. You were on your knees in the dirt, your hands and ankles bound to stop you from escaping. You looked a little roughed up but mostly unharmed, it was ideal but still, it was a relief that you were alright.

However, Charles didn't relax just yet. He was more than glad to see that you were alright but until he had you right in front of him or in his arms, he wouldn't be satisfied.

"There aren't many of them. We can take them" Sadie was confident in that, they had dealt with so much worse. This would be an easy fight.

"If we take out one each at the same time, there'll only be two left" Arthur added.

"Sounds easy enough" John nodded.

"Sadie and I will take the two men closest to Y/n. You and John take the ones on watch" Charles planned and Arthur nodded in agreement.

"Then whoever can get the two at the campfire deal with them?" John asked, thinking it would be simple enough.

"They'll be slow to react. Probably be able to take them out before they pick up their guns" Sadie assured him.

"Get into position and wait for Charles' signal" Arthur said and the other three nodded before splitting up.

They moved into position, going unnoticed by anyone in the camp, and readied their aims on their targets. A part of Charles wished that he could let you know that he was there, just so you knew that everything would be alright, but he reminded himself that you would know that soon enough.

Charles nodded and only a second later, four gunshots rang out and four O'Driscolls fell to the ground. The sudden noise made you jump and your head shoot up, looking around for the source of the noise.

Another two gunshots came, Sadie and Arthur having dealt with the two men at the campfire. The two men had only had enough time to stand and reach for their guns, that didn't stand a chance.

Charles had managed to remained calm and collected, ensuring that he was thinking rationally because he knew that it was the only way to get you out of the camp unharmed. And that was his number one priority.

It didn't take much of you looking around for you to see the familiar faces and, as soon as you saw them, you were relieved. You had known that Charles would come for you, he always did and he always would.

Charles was at your side before you know it, cutting the restraints around your ankles and wrists before pocking his knife. He lowered himself onto his knees in front of you, rubbing your sore wrists gently.

"I knew you'd come for me" you smiled as pulled your wrists out of his hands and wrapped your arms around his waist.

"Of course I did" Charles let out a sigh of relief as he wrapped his arms around you, holding you against his chest. He took the moment to have some privacy with you while the other three searched the camp for anything valuable. "Are you hurt?" he asked, stroking his hand up your back.

"No, just a few bruises" you assured him.

"Good..." Charles nodded before gently pulled away from you, his hands on your upper arms. "...I'm sorry that I wasn't there" he apologised, feeling the guilt that he had felt when he first found out that you had gotten into trouble.

"What? Don't be ridiculous, that's not your fault. It's not like you could've known" you frowned up at him.

"That's not the point. I should have been there" Charles shook his head.

"Stop blaming yourself for things that are absolutely not your fault. You know I can handle myself, things just got messy and I got into some bad luck" you cupped his face in your hands, thumbs brushing against his cheeks. "You came for me, like I knew you would, and that's what matters" you assured him. Had you been a little afraid? Of course, you had been kidnapped by some O'Driscolls. But you knew that Charles would be here, that everything would be alright.

Charles nodded before resting his forehead against yours, you could feel his body relax and that made you smile softly.

"Charles, we should get outta here before anyone comes by" Arthur interrupted awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Come on, let's get out of here" Charles sighed as he pulled away from you. You nodded as he took your hands in yours, helping you to your feet.

He placed a hand on your back as the five of you headed over to the horses. Charles mounted his horse before holding his hand down to you, helping you up onto the back of Taima. You wrapped your arms around his waist and the four horses started away from the abandoned camp.

-----

Once you got back to the camp, you washed up and changed into a fresh set of clothes. Now you were sitting in your tent after getting changed, having managed to steal one of Charles' shirts to wear. You sat on your cot, combing out your hair.

"How are you feeling?" Charles asked as he stepped into the tent, closing the canvas behind him.

"Just tired. Ache a little bit but I'll be fine" you assured him with a small smile, placing your comb down.

"You should probably get something to eat and drink, and then get some rest" Charles advised, moving further into the tent.

"Charles, I'm fine, I promise" you sighed, reaching out and taking one of his larger hand in both of yours.

"I was worried about you" Charles confessed, his gaze focused on your hands.

"I know. I would be the same way" you told him as you tugged on his arm, guiding him to sit down beside you. "But I'm completely fine, because of you" you reminded him, kneeling up on the cot and wrapping your arms around his neck.

"I love you" Charles smiled softly, his forehead touching yours.

"I love you too" you ran your fingers through his hair before bring your lips to his.

Charles instantly returned the gentle kiss, his hand landing on your waist. You smiled against his lips as you sat yourself down on his lap.

"I'll get something to eat and drink and then I'll get some rest, but only if you lay with me" you bargain as you pulled away from the kiss, resting your head on his shoulder, stilling twirling his hair around your fingers.

"I think I can work with that" Charles smiled, making you chuckle.

"Come on then" you stood from the cot, holding your hand out to him. Charles placed his hand in yours and stood as well, following you out of the tent.

You were alright and that was all that mattered to Charles. You were strong and you've been in worse situations than today, he knew that but it would never stop him from worrying about you. But he knew that you would worry about him if the roles hand been reversed. He trusted you and knew that you could handle yourself just fine but he wouldn't be leaving your side for a little while.

Requests?