Charles Smith: Just The Two of You

Charles Smith X Female Reader

Summary: you and Charles decide it's time to get married.

Word Count: 1400

You and Charles had been together for years. You had met him when you joined the Van der Linde gang, he was quiet but the two of you had gravitated towards each other anyway. It wasn't long until the two of you were inseparable. He taught you how to track and hunt, how to make arrows and use a bow.

As the gang seemed to collapse in on itself, the two of you stuck together and did all you could to help those who needed it. At least until you met the Wapiti tribe. Charles wanted to help them escape to Canada and you thought it was more than a worthy cause, plus you couldn't just leave him, so you left together. The two of you stuck together as the tribe seemed to fall apart as well.

It became clear that among all the chaos and tragedy and disaster, there was one constant. The two of you. Together. You would be able to pull through anything as long as you stuck together and picked each other up when you fell down.

Years had passed since either of you were involved with the gang but your past still seemed to weigh down on you both, somehow holding you back from something.

Then you reunited with John and Sadie, followed by the news that Micah Bell was alive and camping out on Mount Hagen. So all of you headed out to confront him. Turns out that Dutch was there, he shot Micah, and then walked off to who knows where.

Heading back to the Marston ranch, something felt different, like a weight was lifted. You stayed for a while, healing some wounds and attending John and Abigail's wedding, before heading off. You and Charles going back to Canada, to your little ranch.

When you returned home, feeling a new sense of freedom, like you could finally put the past behind you, it was late and you were both tired. Finally that part of your lives was behind you. You would still cherish those memories and remember the friends that you had lost but it was time for you to move on and start fresh lives.

Charles must have felt the same thing that you did, that sense of a true new start, because it was that night that he proposed. In that moment, the two of you wondered why he hadn't done it sooner, quickly realising that neither of you had truly felt like you could move on. Now you could. And you did.

The two of you stepped into your house, Charles closing the door behind you. It was late and getting dark out by the time you returned home, so you went to light the fire in the lounge.

Once you ignited the fire, you stood up straight, only to feel Charles' strong arms wrap around your waist. You sighed contently as you lent back against his chest, placing your hands on top of his.

"It's all finally over" you rested your head back against his shoulder, smiling and closing your eyes when he placed a kiss on your forehead.

"All behind us" Charles hummed in agreement. His hands slipped down to your hips, gripping them gently as he turned you to face him. Your hands instantly settled on his chest as you looked up at him. "It's always been so easy to dwell on the past but we can't go back, we can't change what happened but we can move forward. I feel like the weight has been lifted, at least enough to put it behind us" he affectionately tucked a strand of hair behind your ear, his fingers brushing against your cheek.

"Never thought we were ones for revenge, still don't think we are...just think that it was something that needed to be done. I'm surprised by how much lighter I feel now" you confessed as you wrapped your arms around his neck, mindlessly playing with his hair.

"I should have done this sooner, I wanted to but something felt wrong. Sometimes it felt like it was just the two of us but I never minded that. We have something good here, I know that, and I want to start a real life with you" Charles spoke and you could only watch him in awe, wondering where this was going. A little part of you knew, had maybe even been expecting it. "How would you feel about getting married?" he asked.