The Van der Linde Gang: Modern Times Part 5

The Van der Linde Gang & Modern Reader

Summary: you introduce the gang to some modern pass-times, including a friendly game of basketball and an intense game of laser tag. Headcanons.

~Basketball Game~

You have to start by explaining how to play the game, the rules, and everything. Getting them to pay attention and remember it. It's a lighthearted game so they doesn't need to know all the ins and outs of it. Just get the ball through the hoop, that's good enough.

You and Dutch are team captains. You get to choose first. Dutch glares at you when you pick Arthur first. Sorry, Dutch.

Once you have your teams, you start to play.

It get's competitive fast. An unholy amount of trash talk, seriously, it is not necessary. What did Javier just call you when you got the ball from him?!

Micah's not allowed to play anymore, you quickly learnt that he was far too aggressive.

The whole gang has a lot of fun and it's a good way to help them let out some built up energy, since they aren't living such an active life anymore.

After teaching them how to play and your first game, the gang start to play more often. After the initial game it's not the whole gang that plays all the time, a handful of them, or even just two of them, will occasionally decide to play a game.

This is actually, surprisingly, one of the few things that turns out to be mostly lighthearted. You're pleasantly surprised.

Some members get a little pouty if their team lose but there was no tantrums, so you call that a win!

~Laser Tag~

Not everybody goes. You explain the game to them and let them decide if they want to go.

You playfully told them that they would feel right at home, and that they would be good at it. Now you could show off your own skills!

You explain the idea of the game to them on the way, and once you get there one of the employees gives you all a quick explanation of what to do.

If you all play on the same team, you absolutely dominate...even if the other team is a child's birthday party. You're all still very happy with yourselves.

It's probably more sensible to spilt into two teams and just play against each other.

Fighting about who is on who's team.

You and Hosea snapping and telling them to just spilt down the middle.

"What's the point of usin' fake guns?" Micah would ask, huffing and falling silent when you tell him that if he doesn't like it, he can leave. He also gets really butt-hurt if he doesn't do well.

Sean gets REALLY into it. Getting to run around shooting people without actually hurting anyone? Yes please! Get's really cocky even though he's one of the worst players, but at least he is having fun.

When Sean get's shot, he acts like he was actually shot. So dramatic but it makes the game more interesting.

His enthusiasm starts to rub off on Lenny and Kieran. They have a great time. If you just want some harmless fun, stick with them.

If you want something more intense, stick with Dutch. As always, he takes this seriously. Lot's of people get called traitors.

You have to break Arthur and Charles out of their shells a little bit, just help them let go and enjoy themselves. Eventually they get more comfortable and find themselves having some fun.

You take Jack with you!

John tries to keep close to his son, just to watch over him...but loses him a few times. No worries, you're all always looking out for the young boy.

Nobody shoots Jack, they all let him shoot them. The whole let the kid win thing. You all just love that boy and he looks so happy, it's precious.

Sadie walks the line of messing around and serious. She doesn't take it too seriously, not caring whether she wins or loses, but still takes no mercy.

Bill doesn't get the point at first but slowly get into it.

The whole thing is just a mix of over enthusiasm, over intensity, and normal playing.

Overall, it's a good day and everyone ends up having fun. It could only get better by taking Jack out for Pizza or ice cream afterwards. And by Jack, I mean the whole gang.

Requests are Closed!