Charles Smith: Something That's Worth It

Charles Smith x Female Reader

Summary: When John finds Charles street fighting, he knows that there has to be a good reason. Only to find out that he's trying to provide for his sick wife, who also just so happens to be carrying his child.

Warnings: talk about a complicated birth

Word Count: 4600

John barely believed it when Uncle told him that Charles Smith was still alive and in Saint Denis of all places. Then again, even Uncle admitted that there was a chance that it was all a drunken dream. But they went into the city away and asked around. If Charles was alive, it seemed that he was fighting behind Saint Saturnines. So that's where John and Uncle regrouped.

John was already curious. Charles was a big feller and plenty capable, he imagined he would do just fine in some street fighting but...he just never really saw him as the type. It just didn't fit the man he knew. Then again, seven years have passed, time are hard and people change. Perhaps this was just what Charles Smith had become now and who were they to judge?

As the two men round the brick building, they saw the familiar figure speaking with an unfamiliar man. Perhaps an agent or something of the sort, telling him that they both knew what he had to do before walking back towards the crowd of men.

"He don't know the half of it" John commented as Uncle went to join the crowd, hopefully not to cause trouble.

Charles glanced up at the vaguely familiar voice, something that he recognised from what had to be years ago. Turning to the man who had spoken, he was a little taken back to see John Marston standing right in front of him.

"John...you're...you're..." Charles couldn't help but laugh a little in surprise. This was one face that he thought he would never see again but was happy to be reunited with.

"I'm alive...so are you" John observed as Charles shook his head, placing another on his shoulder in a friendly manner. "So is he" he nodded his head towards the old man who was making himself at home among the other men.

"That's Uncle?" Charles never thought he would be all that happy to see that man, yet here he was.

"What are you doing?" John asked bluntly, still not thinking that this was something that Charles would be interested in doing. Not if he had any other choice.

"I dunno...I'm alive" Charles sighed a little, not sure how to answer his question.

"Uncle thought maybe...you was in some sort of trouble" if that was the case, John wanted to help.

"K-kind of...just...I don't know, I'm not in trouble with these lot if that's what you mean. I...I'm throwing fights for a few dollars" Charles admittedly, not sounding too proud of that choice.

"Throwing fights?" John's eyes widened slightly, that definitely didn't sound like Charles.

"Sure" Charles nodded.

"And you like that?" John asked, already knowing the answer.

"Of course not" Charles scoffed.

"So?" John was just looking at him expectantly, waiting for a better explanation.

"So...sometimes you do things you aren't proud of....because you're doing it for something that's worth it" Charles told him.

"This ain't you, Charles. What could be worth it?" John asked in disbelief.

"We'll talk after the fight. Let me go place a bet" Charles didn't answer his question, there wasn't time. "Come on" he nodded for John to follow him, both of them placing a bet on him before the fight begun.