Prolog ✔

April 10th, 2020

"Good morning, Baby," I jumped a little as I felt a light peck on my left cheek. I turned to see a tall man in his gray suit was grinning while expecting my reaction.

"Oppa!" I held my voice as I might sound too loud. 9 AM was still too early for the workers to arrive at the office. But I couldn't help to feel anxious as people might see us.

He leaned his long body to the pantry while watching me doing my activity. I was making two cups of hot café latte. I gave one to him when the beverages were ready. "Thank you," he smiled again. He was about to kiss my lips, but I held him by pressing his lips lightly with my index finger.

"We're at the office, Mr. Jang. Be professional, please," I giggled, shook my head, and thankfully he stopped.

"I know," he sipped the drink and hummed in satisfaction. "I've always loved the coffee you made, Hyeyoon. It tastes perfect,"

I sat on the nearest stool while enjoying the drink. Kiyong followed by sitting right next to me. I slid the handouts I got earlier to him, which he glanced at first.

"Hm? What's this?" he took it and read the cover.

"For today's meeting. I've summarized it for you," Kiyong turned the pages and nodded as he read the summary.

"So the director will recruit a new member?" I asked him.

"Yes," he confirmed. "An acquaintance of his relative, a young programmer,"

I mouthed a quiet 'oh' before someone knocked on the pantry door. Made the two of us turned to see a guy stood by the doorway.

"Are you guys ready? The boss told us to get ready for the meeting. We'll begin in 15 minutes," Gunjoo informed.

"Ah, okay, we're done," Kiyong gestured me to get ready, and I nodded.

It was an internal monthly meeting for the directors, few stockholders, and the head managers. I entered the meeting room and sat behind Jang Kiyong, the Head Manager for Planning Division. My boyfriend.

"Thank you," Kiyong whispered as I put the summary and a tab in front of him, ready in use. He pulled out the stylus pen and started writing something.

"Do you know who's going to be the new member?" I asked Gunjoo, who sat beside me in a low voice. The meeting has started as the director was presenting the progress of their project.

"I only heard he is called Rowoon Kim," Gunjoo whispered back, and I nodded. Never heard the name, though.

The next second when I was reading the presentation copy on my tab, the meeting room door was clicked open. A tall figure pushed it and walked in.

He proceeded to the director and stood beside him. Gunjoo nudged my arm, tried to get my attention. I looked at him, confused, "that's him," he muttered while pointing in a particular direction with his chin.

I followed his direction and finally saw the man standing tall, dressed in a thigh-length navy coat and plain light blue shirt. He combed his hair neatly.

His fierce eyes scanned the whole room while the director introduced him as Kim Rowoon, who just came back from abroad for his master's degree.

I froze on my spot. My eyes widened as I couldn't believe my sight.

But it's not Kim Seok-woo; it's Kim Rowoon.

He was scanning the attendants with his clear dark brown eyes when he finally landed his eyes in my direction. He paused. Blinked a few times, he pierced the gaze and stared at me for quite a long time.

My eyes were shaking from the unexpected encounter. All the memories inevitably flashed in my head. The pictures were so clear, like it happened yesterday.

The memories from 3 years ago.

I diverted my gaze and saw Kiyong was looking at the other man alternately and me. He looked both confused and wondered.

Rowoon was still looking, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I gave the tab to Goonjoo, hinted at Kiyong that I needed to take a break, and excused myself to leave the room.

Once I was in the restroom, I stopped by the sink and looked at my horror expression reflected in the mirror.

The memories flashed again.

It was springtime. In April 2017. When all of the chaos started.