8. Emergency ✔

Author's POV

Sunday morning, Seok-woo stayed up till 5 AM to complete his project before submitting it tomorrow.

His phone rang, and he abruptly awoke from his short nap. He roamed his hand to the end table near his bed and reached for his phone.

Without checking the caller, he answered it.

"Seok-woo," the familiar voice called him. He blinked a few times and checked on his phone screen to see his sister's name on it.

"Noona?" his voice hoarse as he just woke up.

"Where are you?" there was a hint of concern in his sister's voice.

Seok-woo sensed the anxiousness in his sister's voice. He quickly got up and sat on the edge of his bed. "At home, why? What's the matter?"

His sister told him what happened with their father, which made Seokwoo's eyes widen, and his jaw clenched.

"I'll be right on my way there," he hurriedly grabbed his coat and car keys. Stride out of his apartment and drove to Ilsan at high speed.

Seok-woo arrived at NHIC Ilsan Hospital and rushed to the ICCU. He saw his mother and sister sat on a bench in front of the ICCU entrance. Seoran was hugging her tearful mom when she saw her brother walked approaching them.

She got up and hugged the tall guy.

"What happened?" Seok-woo asked his sister when he saw his mother wiped her tears with a handkerchief.

"Dad lost consciousness this morning. Mom found him in the bathroom, fainted, and hurt his head," his sister explained.

"Was there something wrong with him last night?" Seok-woo asked both his mom and sister, but they shook their head.

"The doctors are still examining him. We have to wait," as her sister finished her sentence. Seok-woo glanced through the glass window but could see nothing.

Five minutes later, a doctor came out. He fixed his glasses and faced the three of them.

"Mr. Kim's family?" the doctor asked, and Seok-woo nodded. "There's something I need to discuss with his family," the doctor stared at Seokwoo at first and patted his shoulder. "Can we talk about this in my office?"

Seok-woo glanced at his mom and sister. They looked at each other. Then his sister nodded in approval.

"Sure, doc," Seok-woo then followed the older man to his office and watched as he checked on the medical report on his desk. The door knocked, and a nurse came in. She handed a large envelope, which Seokwoo learned as his father's CT Scan result.

Dr. Park observed the result and finally turned to Seokwoo with concerns; his face darkened. The Doctor prepared himself to deliver the news.

"What's the matter, doc?" Seok-woo finally spoke. The doctor then stared at him and sighed.

"Kim Seok-woo, it's hard to inform you the news, but I have to," he halted then proceeded as he saw the younger man stilled upon listening to his explanation carefully.

"Your father had an Ischemic Stroke," Dr. Park finally declared.

Seok-woo stunned for a moment before he spoke, his hands trembled, and he stuttered.

"A stroke?" Seok-woo was still in his disbelief as to what he heard from the elder. "I still don't understand, doc. Is that why he still unconscious?" he questioned.

Dr. Park nodded and showed Seokwoo the picture from the CT scan. He pointed to the white part, which he explained as the apparent cause of his dad's unconsciousness.