14. Beijing, The Gala ✔

Beijing, April 19th, 2020

We just landed 10 minutes ago and now were re-claiming our baggage. I stood behind the trolley while Kiyong stood by the baggage carousel, waiting for the airline's luggage to disembarking.

I stood a few meters away from him, watching him as he was checking the monitor and the carousel that started to rotate. Kiyong was wearing a blue denim shirt and jeans. With black sunglasses attached, he looked stands out among the crowds. I half smirked upon witnessing a few girls whispering and giggling while pointing at him.

He was a bachelor, and I think it was a natural reaction for females to see attractive males near them. Kiyong then grabbed two suitcases of us and now walked approaching me. He put the suitcases on the trolley.

"So? Is there someone going to pick us up?" I asked him. He then pulled out his phone and started calling someone. I didn't catch what he was saying as he now was speaking mandarin. When he hung up the call, he escorted me to the exit gate.

"We're going there by taxi. The company can't make it to grab us," Kiyong stopped and stared at me, "are you fine with that?"

"I'm good, don't worry," I assured. "You're here with me, anyway,"

He smiled upon hearing my statement. He loved it.

We took a taxi to the Hotel where the Gala took place, and Kiyong went to the receptionist to complete the check-in process. The attendances for the Gala were already on their list. One person per room. That was so generous of them.

Kiyong gave me the key card. He set both of us had our room separately. I smiled at his understanding. I took the key card and thanked him.

Our room was opposite each other. "Hyeyoon, come to my room anytime if you need anything. It's always opened," Kiyong gave me his spare key card. I was glad when he didn't ask for mine in return. I knew Kiyong wasn't such a person. Then I smiled at him and was about to enter my room.

But he suddenly grabbed my hand, and I halted. Slightly jolted to his sudden action. I turned to see his expecting eyes. He hesitated but then blinked it off. He cleared his throat and said, "take a rest and get prepared. I'll wait for you here at 7,"

"Alright," I smiled and pulled him so he could bend down and kissed his cheek. "See you later,"

I turned again and went to my room, leaving him stunned behind.

The room was a grand deluxe with a king-sized bed. Though it wasn't the most expensive room type, it was enormous. Even the bathroom provided a bath up. I placed my suitcase unopened near the drawer, walked to the bed, and tossed my body straight on the mattress. My sight was facing the ceiling.

I shut my eyes, and suddenly a sound rang inside my head.

It was my conversation with Jeein a few weeks ago.

"What, you don't let him touch you?" she was protesting upon my decision to hold up a barrier and limitation to my physical contact with my boyfriend.

"It's not like that. I don't want to. But I can't," I replied but resisted looking at the girl who now was showing her questioning look.

"I don't get you, Hyeyoon. You let Seokwoo had your whole body and full heart, yet you set boundaries to Kiyong?" she leaned forward and emphasizing every word, "what are you thinking?"

My heart sank when I heard the name mentioned again. It still affected me even after years in a way I couldn't explain.

I sighed and didn't try to retort anything to Jeein's question. She didn't understand. Just whenever I was about to let my boyfriend touch me, the image of that man kept showing up, and I didn't know what was wrong with myself, but I kept seeing him. That's why I couldn't do it, for now, yet at least.