18. The Solitaire Ring

Hyeyoon glanced at the wall clock in their office. It was already half-past seven in the evening. The red tinge on the sky was faded and slowly replaced by the darkness. She saw Dahyun still busy with her PC, and a few other staff were still focused on their work.

The deadline was near, and Hyeyoon was lucky as the meeting scheduled this Friday was delayed to the following Monday as the Microchip IT Company delegation had not yet started working at the Seoul Branch. Instead, they got a new Head of the Program Department, and he would begin to work on Monday.

They were given extra time to prepare their design. Hyeyoon decided to double-check her zoning concept for the site plan. Hyeyoon cracked on her knuckles as they felt stiff. She then heard a sound from beside her desk. Hyeyoon grabbed her phone as it vibrated.

You received a message.

The girl quickly opened the application after seeing the sender's name on her display.

It was Jeein. She sent her an invitation. Hyeyoon was delighted when she read the invitation. Jeein and Yongdae would get engaged this weekend. Such a piece of great news. Hyeyoon couldn't hide her happiness for her friend. She sent a congratulatory message to Jeein.

A few seconds after, Hyeyoon sent the message. Her phone vibrated again.

Jeein's calling.

"Hyeyoon!" her voice rang loudly across the line. But, of course, Hyeyoon didn't expect that and moved the phone away from her ear.

"What? Why are you screaming?" Hyeyoon uttered a protest, and the latter just chuckled in reply. There were mumbles from the other line. Hyeyoon could hear that someone else was with her. "Are you with Yongdae?" Hyeyoon asked the girl.

"Yes," Jeein replied. "He's right here with me,"

"You two lovebirds," Hyeyoon giggled. "Congratulation,"

Jeein smiled and looked at Yongdae, who was now sitting beside her. Putting his arm around the girl, he protectively embraced her. "Thank you," Jeein replied to Hyeyoon. "Are you still working?" Jeein assumed that Hyeyoon must still be at work.

"Yeah," the girl sounded. "The deadline is near. I need to finish the design before Friday," Hyeyoon added. There was a hint of tiredness in her voice, and Jeein couldn't ignore it.

"Don't overwork yourself, Hyeyoon. Ask Kiyong to give you break for a moment, or else I will punch him right in the head for making you work so hard,"

Hyeyoon laughed. The imagination of Jeein punching Kiyong was so hilarious that Hyeyoon couldn't help to chuckle in amusement.

"Don't worry about me," Hyeyoon reassured. "Just think about your engagement preparation. It's getting near. Aren't you feeling nervous?" Hyeyoon curiously asked the girl which Jeein responded with a blush on her cheeks. Jeein smiled widely. "But I'm glad that you guys finally find your happiness. It's just a start of the journey for the both of you," she added.

Hyeyoon then saw Kiyong walk out of his office and stare at her. He signed that there was something he needed to discuss with her. Hyeyoon nodded.

"Jeein, I think I have to go," Hyeyoon talked to Jeein again. "Kiyong is calling me, he probably needs something,"

Jeein understood, and she hung up the call.

Yongdae stared at his fiancée curiously. "What?" Jeein frowned upon seeing Yongdae's expression.

The guy shook his head and took a sip of his coffee. "I still think it's way better to tell Hyeyoon about the truth rather than hiding it," Yongdae told the girl with a straight face.