5. Sweet and Sour ✔

Author's POV

The first three months of Seok-woo and Hyeyoon's relationship were going smoothly, and everyone could see they were happy. Seok-woo won't hesitate to show his love and affection toward Hyeyoon by showing their skinship like holding hands, hugging, or just pinching Hyeyoon's blushed cheek when he teased the girl.

He would ask Hyeyoon to join him and his friends to hang out sometimes. Hyeyoon felt slightly awkward at first, but she adapted fast since there were Inseong and Youngdae, too. Inseong was Hyeyoon's senior in her department, while Youngdae was her classmate along with Jeein. So, whenever they had time, they occasionally hung out together, and they also invited Jeein. Seemed like they planned to matchmake Jeein with Youngdae.

Recently they gathered at Inseong's graduation party; he was the first among them to graduate. He booked an entire café, and they had fun all together. 

Three months full of happiness.

Three months felt so perfect.

Everything seemed going well, till two months later had passed, and today Hyeyoon was standing in front of Prof. Lee's office. She knocked on the door and heard a faint voice from inside. She entered the Professor's office.

"Have a seat, Hyeyoon," the middle-aged man smiled and told her to sit.

Hyeyoon sat and watched Prof. Lee scrolled the page on his PC, then printed something. He handed few pages of papers to Hyeyoon.

"I received this email last night and was wondering if you're interested in studying abroad," he said while fixing his glasses.

Hyeyoon took the paper and read the first page as a notification from a Professor of The University of Melbourne who responded to Hyeyoon's proposal she submitted a few months ago.

Hyeyoon, who was still unable to comprehend, stared at the older man and confusedly gave the paper back to him, "I don't understand, Sir," she said finally.

Prof. Lee cleared his throat. "The journal you submitted was noticed by one of the Professors. He was interested in the topic you brought and was offering an award of full funding scholarship to you," Prof. Lee explained. "This is an excellent opportunity, Hyeyoon. You can continue for a master degree right after you graduated,"

Hyeyoon already prepared for her final thesis, and if everything went well, she'd graduate this winter.

"I believe you still have time till February intake. Are you ready for this? I'll support everything you need, including your application and recommendation letter," still unable to decide, Hyeyoon nervously squeezed her delicate fingers.

"I-I need to think about this first, Professor. I need to talk with my mom, too," Hyeyoon finally sounded, and Prof. Lee nodded eagerly.

"Sure, sure! You have to. Your parents must be so proud of you, Hyeyoon," he smiled meaningfully. "Let me know your final decision before the end of this month, or else they will give the scholarship to another candidate,"

Hyeyoon nodded and got up, excused herself to leave. She closed the office door with a pounding heart. She was excited to hear the news and thrilled, too. Hyeyoon never thought she would get a chance to study abroad. It was one of her dreams, but she didn't expect to get the offer even before she officially graduated.

The girl glanced at her watch, and the time showed 5 PM. She'd better go home. Hyeyoon walked to the bus stop right next to the campus entrance. 2 minutes later, her bus arrived. She tapped the bus card then headed to the empty seat, right before the window.

She couldn't wait to tell Seokwoo about the news. Hyeyoon grabbed her phone from her bag and dialed her boyfriend's number, but her smile slowly faded. The operator directed the call to a voicemail. He was still switching his phone off.