15. Attentive ✔

"Hyeyoon,"

I heard a familiar voice. It was a faint whisper muttering my name repeatedly. I focused on my hearing, sharpening my sense, and listening to it once again.

"Hyeyoon," the voice called again, this time sounding clearer. I frowned; the voice was so familiar. I tried a few times to open my eyes, but I felt numbness even in my eyelids. Was I dreaming?

"Baby," he whispered again, and this time I almost could recognize it when suddenly I felt someone patted on my right shoulder. My eyes abruptly shot open. There was nothing I could see besides all the white. Still sensing the touch on my right shoulder, I turned around hesitantly.

There was a hand. A man? He was wearing a white long sleeve shirt, but he rolled up the sleeve just enough to show the watch he was wearing. My eyes widened. I immediately recognized the watch as the same one I had bought years ago.

My heart was thumping rapidly as I now wholly faced the figure in front of me. The look in my eyes confirmed that the figure might be someone I knew. The sun's rays hit my eyes as the sound of waves rumbled from my surrounding. Unfortunately, I was late to realize that I was standing by the seashore, barefooted and wearing a thin layer of a white dress.

The man who stood a few steps away from me was blocking the sun. I stepped forward to reach him, but the more I tried to take one step forward, the farther he was away.

"No," I tried to say a word, but it came out as a meaningless whimper.

I felt the rush to run toward him, yet the man was getting further and further away. My steps felt heavier, "No, don't go," I was desperately trying to shout, but I choked on my own words.

"Come back," my voice cracked as I forcefully shouted. But unfortunately, he didn't seem to hear anything as the gap was getting unreachable.

I could barely move my feet as if the sand swallowed them. I panted and started crying hard. The words that hardly came out were merely pleas—hoping the figure would return, or at least never let me go.

* * *

I gasped and panted hard, gagging for air, and as I finally regained consciousness, I stared blankly at the ceiling of my hotel room. It was dark.

My face was completely wet; the tears kept flowing even when I tried to get up from the bed. Finally, I sat on the edge of my bed, palmed my face, and tried to catch my breath. When I finally calmed down, I slowly tapped the bedside lamp.

There was still a familiar sting in my chest. The familiar ache that seemed unable to heal even after years. I breathed in and out slowly. I hardly believed that I had a dream about him again, yet this time, the pain remained. I thought the time had already healed the wound. But it seemed like it wasn't.

I remember the first time I met Jeein again was when she invited me to have dinner with her two months after I returned to South Korea. We both talked a lot almost about everything. When she accidentally brought up the topic of Seok-woo. I couldn't hide my curiosity.

"So, you threw the gift away?" I asked her. Jeein seemed a bit nervous initially, but then she stared at me with a convincing look.

"Yes, I threw it away," Jeein sipped her drink before continuing, "so stop talking about him. I don't want to hear anything about the past," flashing her mischievous grin. Jeein leaned forward enthusiastically.

"Now, tell me about your boyfriend, I know you have one. He's so handsome, oh my goodness, Hyeyoon, he's hot," Jeein exclaimed.

I laughed at her. "Please, Jeein. You have Youngdae already," I reminded her. I was so glad at the news that they were ready to tie the knot very soon. They announced their engagement two days ago and will hold the engagement party next month.