Chapter Forty- Seven

Unedited

Lina

Call it a gut feeling or maybe it was something I felt through our link. But I knew something was wrong, Kane had left me alone this morning to stay with my brother, he hasn't come back yet or tried to link me since.

I pick up the book Iris had brought me and tried to focus on the words written, almost groaning aloud as they continue to blur in with my thoughts. A loud groan sounds to my left making me pause, for a second I think that I had let the sound out only to hear it once again.

I place the book down against the small coffee table set next to me with a breakfast tray delivered earlier by Sarah. Turning back towards my brother I swipe a hand against his forehead, sweeping his hair back in the process.

"Vin? Can you hear me?" I say softly not wanting to bombard his sensitive hearing.

His eyes flutter twice and then open, his face scrunches up at the bright light before adjusting. He blinks up at me once more, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips I smile back, my cheeks hurting from how hard I was cheesing.

I was overcome with so much emotion, but if anything I would rather be overcome with this type of emotion than what I had to endure previously. I grab the cup filled with water on the bedside table and hold it close as he licks his lips, sitting on the bed with him, I move it closer only for him to grip it the rest of the way and drink.

Draining the contents in a few gulps he moves to sit up, bringing the empty cup with him. I smile, a tear sliding down my cheek, my heart was once again full. My rake my gaze down his body just in awe, thankful and blessed to have him still here with me. His hand cups my cheek, swiping at the tear there as he moves me in closer hugging me tight.

No words are said just being in the comfort of his familiar embrace spoke volumes for the both of us.

~*~

Kane

My heart physically ached as I watched my best friend, my brother break down in front of me. His red face really triggered a pain I knew all to well. Standing I move towards him, pulling him out of the chair he was sitting in and leading him towards the leather couch.

"Mackenzie, look at me man" he tries his best to wipe away the tears streaming down his face. His tatted knuckles about to rub his eyes raw as he tries his hardest to calm his breathing. I grip his neck and tilt his head so he can see my eyes.

"It's not your fault brother, do you hear me? Non of this fucked up shit is your fault and it damn sure will never be your fault Mac" I grip his neck harder, emphasising my point. I needed him to see that because at this point he was close to breaking due to his actions-which was removing the threat to our pack, to us which so happens to be his father.

Add in the fact his mother up and leaves with no explanation, no emotion? He's losing it and I'm afraid for him, without no mate he will slowly give into the insanity and break, resulting into something I do not want to have to think about.

He looks down at his fists, loosening them and then laying them flat against his thighs. "I can't Kane. It's just too much, I can't- All I see is him" He whispers the last part, eyes still locked on his hands almost as if re-living what had happened all over again.

"One minute he's there and then the next my hands are wrapped around his neck- and then the next minute his body's lifeless" he looks up at me as more tears slide down his dark grey eyes. "I'm holding his body Kane and I'm trying to understand what the fuck is happening?" I grip his shoulder as he falls into my side, rough sobs racking his body as he cries.