~FIFTY THREE~

"She made broken look beautiful
and strong look invincible.
She walked with the Universe
on her shoulders and made it
look like a pair of wings."

Sidharth looked curiously at the screen, he grabbed onto Shehnaz's hand carefully as he stared at the line going up and down. There was a definite heartbeat, even Shehnaz's heartbeat was fine, it was slow, but fine.

"The baby is okay Sidharth." Dr. Janki said.

"Huh?" He looked at her in disbelief.

"The baby is perfectly fine. Bas Shehnaz ke unconscious hone ke wajah se the heartbeat slowed down." She said. She herself looked quite relieved at the news. Doctors were expected to never make personal relations with patient but she couldn't help but stroked Shehnaz's head.

"Phir woh blood?" He gasped.

"It was because of her cervix. She was bleeding because she has a condition Sidharth. It's called Cervical Insufficiency, or Cervical Incompetency. Her cervix can't take the load of the baby." She said.

"Usmein sirf spotting hota hain.." Sidharth mumbled. Dr. Janki smiled softly at him, he had done his research. She could tell what a caring father he was going to be.

"Woh blood aur amniotic fluid leak mix hogaya tha. Blood isn't that thin Sidharth. She can't miscarry so late in her pregnancy. It'd be a stillborn child." She said.

"My baby is alive?" He asked in a low voice, like a little child. He felt Naina wrap an arm around him and her tears touched his arm.

"Haan. Very much so. Now comes the crucial part Sidharth." She said regretfully. She pointed to the stool next to Shehnaz's bed. He sat down and took her hand in his.

"Hume ek cervical stitch lagana padega. She'll be in pain constantly. And this will definitely be a preterm infant. 34-36 weeks ke beech mein, we'll take the baby out through an induced labour. The longer we pull the better." She said.

"She'll be in pain?" He asked, his voice was low.

"Yes Sidharth. Abhi woh inevitable hain, bacche ko safe rakhne ke liye, it's necessary." She said.

"Mama, naani se baat karoge?" Naina said in a soft voice.

"N...nahi. Uh Shehnaz kab uthegi?" He asked.

"We're hydrating her and giving her fluids to regulate her amniotic levels. The bleeding stopped. She's stable. Kabhi bhi uth sakti hain. We'd like to keep her in the observation till you both make a decision and we perform the operation." She said. He nodded weakly. There was a low knock on the door, Shehbaz and Asad walked into the room. Asad had a bag in his hands.

"Sidharth.." Shehbaz mumbled, looking at his sister's unconscious body. He was shaking.

"Chote. Kuch nahi hua yaar. Theek hain woh." Sidharth said urgently, pulling him into a hug.

"Theek kaise hain.. dekh Motto ko." His voice shook.

"Baccha..?"

"Dono theek hain, bas ek complication hain. Ja baith uske paas." Sidharth patted his back and pushed him forward to the stool. Shehbaz had heavy and wet eyes when he picked up her hand and kissed it.

"Vaheguru mehr karein." He whispered.

"You okay bro?" Asad asked. Sidharth nodded solemnly.

"Mama... Kaunsa card use karoon?" Naina finally asked. Her face was red with tears.