Chapter 24

The last couple of days, Bakugou acted strangely. He would isolate himself sometimes, even from you, and he acted even weirder around Midoriya. You two would spend some time together but it felt like something was bothering him and whenever you would ask him about it, he would always change the subject.

You decided to go to his room today, and you found him sitting on his desk, sketching on his messy sketchbook.

"Hey!"

"Good, you're here."

"What's up?" you asked while sitting on his bed.

"Since school started again, I've noticed you having some difficulties with your suit whenever we're training or fighting. So I sketched some new designs and stuff, look."

He handed you the sketchbook while informing you about the new additions to your suit.

"The suit is super tight and since you've gained some more muscle from our training it needs to be thicker, so that you avoid getting serious wounds as well, plus the harness keeps falling off your thigh so you have to replace it with an adjustable one, and finally, when you use your Mind Control quirk, you should have an open space in your suit, which you currenly haven't, maybe a zipper near your shoulder, so that you can reach your skin without having to cut your suit."

He had a fascinating look on his face which you found rather amusing to look at.

"Damn Katsuki, if the hero thing doesn't work out at the end you should become a designer like your parents." you teased.

"Tsk, you're so annoying. Anyway, I added a mask! That would make you look 20% cooler."

"You're kidding right?"

"I'm being dead serious."

"You just want us to match." you teased once again. "And I'm already cool." your eyebrows furrowed as you crossed your arms.

"MAYBE I DO!"

You started laughing at his priceless reaction while folding the paper and putting it in your pocket. You stood up, wrapped your arms around him, hugging him from behind while stuffing your face in his spiky hair.

"What's going on with you lately?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, focused on the sketch of his own suit.

"It's just that.. you've been acting weird. Especially around Midoriya. Did something happen?"

He hesitated at first, but then he finally answered.

"No."

"Why can't you just be honest with me!"

Exasperation.

"Nothing has happened so stop asking me all the goddamn time!" he shouted, slamming his hands on top of the desk.

His sudden outburst startled you, triggered something in you even. You remembered the last time someone had yelled at you like that. Your father.

"You didn't have to fucking yell at me." your trembling voice struggled saying as you pointed at him.

You got out of his room and headed to yours.

You never thought you'd get so vulnerable and heartbroken over some silly outburst. Maybe you worried too much about him, you thought. But you couldn't help it. He always kept stuff to himself and you only wanted him to open up to you more.

Memories of your dad that you didn't even know existed ran through your mind. He was yelling at you for not being able to control your Blood Bending quirk properly.

Fear of disappointment.

You closed your eyes and tried your best to calm yourself down, but as you were drowning in your own thoughts, Uraraka knocked on your door, telling you to go and hang out with her and the others. You agreed, after some persuasion.

Bakugou came downstairs afterwards and told Midoriya to follow him outside.

"What are you doing?" you asked, getting up from the couch.

"None of your business." he replied.

"It is actually! I'm coming with you in case you do something stupid." you spat back irritated.

"It's okay (y/n), Bakugou just wants to talk. We will be back soon." assured Midoriya, trying to calm you down.

You locked eyes with Bakugou before they left and after that, you sat down on the couch once again with Uraraka telling you not to worry. You did worry though. You were sure that Bakugou didn't want to just talk to Midoriya.

...

"Since you're not denying it, it must be true."

"What are you going to do with the answer?"

Bakugou had taken Midoriya to a place away from your dorms.

"You and I both wanted to be like All Might. Right.. that's how it was.. Someone I'd always thought was just a pebble was acknowledged by the person I admired without me realizing it... That's why.. let's fight. Right here, right now."

"Wait! We can't do this!"

Bakugou blasted himself towards Midoriya, creating a huge explosion which, luckily, Midoriya managed to dodge. The fight went on until Aizawa got notified that two students from Class 1-A broke curfew.

"Eraser Head! Your students are at Ground Beta! You are responsible for them, go scold them!"

Aizawa turned to look at the alarm on his house with an irritated look on his face.

"Seriously?

Turns out that Ground Beta had cameras that none of the boys were aware of. Meanwhile, Midoriya was trying to stop Bakugou by telling him that what they were doing was wrong but Bakugou totally ignored him by blasting explosions towards him again.

"No matter how much I beat you up, you were always behind my back like glue! Even though we both admired the same person.. Why!"

Bakugou stumbled back and fell to the ground.

"A-Are you okay?!"

Midoriya approached him and offered his hand so that he helped him stand up but Bakugou quickly slapped it away.

"Why did I end up having to chase after the back of someone who was always behind me? Why did a small fry like you get strong and acknowledged by All Might? Why is it that you became strong but I..."

Bakugou's voice started breaking as he gripped the front of his shirt before he finally said what he wanted to say from the start.

"Why was I the one who ended All Might?"

Silence fell in between them.

"If I had been stronger and if I hadn't been kidnapped by the villains, then that wouldn't have happened. All Might tried to keep it a secret.. I couldn't tell anyone! Even if I try not to think about it... it just comes to mind unexpectedly! I don't know what to do!"

Midoriya was just standing in front of him, carefully listening to what he had to say while actually understanding the pain and frustration that he was feeling at the moment. The fight continued when Midoriya started attacking Bakugou first this time.

Meanwhile, you had gone to Aizawa's house, watching and listening to everything that was happening from a screen with your eyes wide open. You were nervously playing with your hands and biting your bottom lip, Aizawa clearly noticing your distress.

"Just try to relax. Nobody's going to die."

"Not so sure about that, Aizawa."