CHAPTER 50

And once the sun sets, a new phase, the phase of the moon begins. But if it is a new moon, then the sky is lonely, without its shining beauty.

It's true, today is Ruhee's last day at Aayan's house. Ruhee's mother had called Aayan's mother, asking her to drop Ruhee at home before 7pm. It was a big day for all of them. Especially, Aayan and Ruhee, they had formed together an unknown bond in the past three months that they cannot name. Even if they wanted to name it, they had no clue what to. It was like the air around them, they could feel it, but not see it.

It was Saturday, Aayan didn't have work, but he left home early. Maybe he didn't wanna see Ruhee unpack? Maybe, but he just didn't wanna stay at home. Aayan was just driving around the city, making no stops. He glanced at the dashboard from time to time. He had got Ruhee a present long back that he wanted to give her, but was never able to build up the courage, and now, she was leaving, him.

Around 12 noon he came back home, to see Ruhee trying to bring down her briefcases, but was finding it hard to. Aayan quickly ran up the Stairs to help her. He went to hold onto the handle, but held Ruhee's hand that was on the handle, instead. He stared at their hands together, several emotions coming to him. He looks up at Ruhee, and their eyes meet, various emotions swirling in their eyes. Some happy, some sad and some unknown. They just stared at each other when Aayan, unconsciously squeezed her hand. Their contact broke, and Ruhee pulled away her hand. Aayan looked away and carried her briefcase down, to place it near the front door. He ran back up to carry down her other briefcase, while she bought down her carry bag. They placed it down and just stood their awkwardly, not saying anything to each other.

Sahma walks out her room and calls Ruhee. Ruhee looks up at her and gives her a smile, as she walks towards her. They vanish into Sahma's room, leaving Aayan standing there. Aayan looks at Ruhee's packed luggage and then towards his room. He wanted to go up and into his room, but he couldn't build the courage to. So, he walks into the living room and sits on the sofa. He pulls out his mobile and types.

Aayan - She is leaving today.

He waits for a few minutes, and he got his reply.

Zubair - Who is?

Aayan - Ruhee.

Zubair - Where to?

Aayan - Her home.

Zubair - She'll be back soon. Gonna miss her? 😏

Aayan takes a deep breath. His friend can be dumb sometimes, but he is all he has as a friend.

Aayan - Three months of our marriage is over today, and she is going home tonight.

Zubair - Oh!

Zubair - So? You knew this was going to happen.

Aayan - I did, but never expected it to be so soon.

Zubair - Do you not want her to go?

Aayan - I don't know, man.

Zubair - What about Ruhee? Does she wanna stay?

Aayan - I don't know that as well.

Zubair - Then find out what you want, then what Ruhee wants, and act accordingly.

Zubair - Listen Aayan, I have never seen you behave the way you do with Ruhee.

Aayan - Behave in what way?

Zubair - The protective, caring, loving, happy way. You are a different person with her, man. A better person.

Aayan - What if it's just because I have never been so close to any girl before.