CHAPTER 66

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.

Aayan stood in front of the mirror and analyzed himself. He nodded to himself and went out of his room. His home was bustling with people moving around. The designers, decorators, his aunt, his Ammi, everyone was busy. He casually walked down the stairs and into the dining room. He took a toast and popped it in his mouth. He walked past a busy someone he had no idea about and was reaching the front door when he stopped, 'Where do you think you are going young man?' Aayan heard his mother ask, so he turned around and said, 'Work.' as simple as possible.

'Oh No, No. You are not going anywhere.' Sahma said walking towards him. He frowned and asked, 'Why?' 'You shouldn't even be asking me that question. The wedding is in two days, I am not letting you tire yourself with work.' Sahma scolded him, 'But Ammi, what will I do staying at home. I have no idea what is going on? I am seriously not interested in all these preparations.' Aayan stated, 'Who said you are going to help plan the wedding? I am not letting you ruin an important day by letting you plan it. All I want you to do is rest.' Sahma said.

Aayan wanted to feel offended but he knew it was the truth. Ruhee would kill him if she saw a black and white wedding. The wedding day would turn out to be his death day and he does not want that. Sahma turns around and yells, 'Zubair, come here.' Zubair jogs over to them, 'Yes, Aunt?' he asks, 'Take your business partner and tell him to be your brother for two days.' Sahma says eyeing Aayan up and down. Zubair salutes at his aunt and grabs on to Aayan's arm, 'Yes, ma'am.' he drags Aayan up the stairs not giving one heed to his protests.

Zubair opened Aayan's bedroom door and shoved him in. He closed the door behind him and plopped onto the bed. Aayan stood there and stared at his friend, 'What?' Zubair asked, 'You very well know how much work I have at the office.' Aayan said, 'And I also know that that work can be done next week aswell. So, relax cousin, you are getting married.' Aayan signed at his brother aka his best friend and went into the closet to change out of his suit.

He came back in his t-shirt and sweats and plopped on the bed, resting his back on the head board. Zubair, who was half lying, rested his head on his palm which was supported by his elbow, and stared at Aayan. Aayan could feel his gaze on him but he paid him no heed and continued to scroll down his mobile. Having enough of the gaze, Aayan finally looked at him and asked, 'What do you want?' Zubair had a mischievous smile on his face as he asked, 'How do you feel?' Aayan frowned and asked, 'What?' 'I mean, you are getting married in two days to the woman you love, how does it feel?'

A subconscious smile grazed Aayan's lips and a different twinkle in his eyes. He can't describe how he felt, he was happy, very happy. He was excited, he felt an eager kind of anticipation. And more importantly, he will soon be able to see his Ruhee, everyday. He would get up in the morning and she would be with him. He would come home from work, and she would be here to welcome him. Before closing his eyes, he could see her. He will be able to hold her in his arms and squeeze her to himself.

'I don't know.' Zubair frowned and sat up, 'I am feeling many things. I am nervous, will I be able to keep her happy forever? Will I be able to fulfill her needs? Will I be able to take care of her health? Will I be a good husband? A husband she wished for?' Aayan let's out a heavy sign, 'I don't know.' 'But I know.' Zubair says. Aayan looks at him, 'You will be a wonderful husband.' 'How can you say that?' Aayan asks him, 'The fact that you are worried whether you'll be able to fulfill your responsibilities as a husband towards her is enough to say that you will be the best.'

Aayan didn't know what to say. Zubair had just said something that made his insides warm, 'Who are you and where is my brother?' Aayan asked him. Zubair scowled at him and punched his arm. Aayan let out a laugh at his behavior. Zubair looks around Aayan's room and asks, 'You didn't make any changes in here?' 'What changes do you mean?' Aayan asked looking around, 'I mean, You are going to share this room with her, don't you need to add anything extra for her?' Zubair states. Aayan looks around and asks, 'What do you mean?' 'You have lived with Ruhee in here for three months, didn't you notice anything she might need?' Zubair asks.

Aayan looks around the room and tries to think back to the time Ruhee stayed with him. But he could not think of anything, 'Ruhee never complained of anything. Just how my clothes are black and white, nothing else is coming to my mind.' Aayan says, 'That is something she said daily, something she referred to only once or said out of the blue?' Zubair tried to make him dig his memories. Aayan looked around and his eyes landed on the two column bookshelf.

Flashback

Aayan was sitting on the bed and doing his work on his laptop and Ruhee was sitting on the couch. It was almost bedtime, but Ruhee was not at all sleepy and Aayan could tell. She was mindlessly scrolling down her mobile. He focused back to his laptop. A heavy sign bought his focus back to Ruhee. She had kept her mobile beside her and she rested her head on the couch, 'You okay?' Aayan asked, 'I am bored.' Ruhee said, 'It's time to sleep, go to sleep.' Aayan said, 'Don't speak like my dad, I don't want my husband to treat me like a child. My parents are enough for that.'

Did she just call me her husband?

Aayan froze in place on hearing that. His entire body was having tingles. Ruhee got up from the couch and walked over to the bookshelf, 'It would have been nice if you had more novels than business guides or statistics. My boredom would have vanished with just a book.' Ruhee said and signed and walked into the closet. Aayan stared at the bookshelf.

Present

Aayan was staring at the bookshelf and an idea popped in, 'Of course, books.' Aayan almost yelled in excitement. Zubair was startled by his sudden outburst. Aayan had a big smile on his face, 'Bro, Calm down. You almost gave me an attack.' Zubair said, placing his hand on his chest, 'Ruhee loves books. She also told me once it would have been fun if there were more novels on that bookshelf. I am gonna get her more books.' Aayan said, 'Okay, but what kind of books? There are so many genres, which genre does Ruhee like?'

Aayan didn't know that, 'I'll just by books from all the genres.' Aayan says, 'Yeah, and later get yelled at Ruhee. You know she hates wastage of money.' Zubair reminded him. Aayan almost forgot that. She would kill him rather than kiss him on seeing the books, 'What do I do then?' Aayan asks sulking, 'Leave it to me.' Zubair says and pulls out his mobile. Aayan peeks into his mobile to see him on Instagram, 'Since when do you have an Instagram account?' Aayan asks frowning, 'Since a month ago.'

Aayan noticed he was texting someone and that someone was Afza, Ruhee's best friend, 'You talk to Afza?' 'Just recently.' Aayan was shocked. Zubair asked Afza about Ruhee's favorite genre but there was no immediate reply. Zubair was tapping on the mobile screen impatiently. Just when they were about to give up, the reply came.

Afza - Why do you want to know that?

Zubair - Aayan wants to surprise Ruhee by buying her favorite genre books. That's why.

Afza - Oh wow! Ruhee is going to love it!!!

Afza - Mystery, Crime and Romance.

Afza - And her favorite author is Agatha Christie.

Zubair - Okay, thanks!! 😍

Afza - Keep the hearts to yourself.

Zubair - But I like sharing my heart with people!

Zubair - ❤️❤️❤️

Aayan stepped aside as he didn't wanna read anymore. He opened his mobile and ordered a new bookshelf and books. He looked at the bookshelf and smiles.

I hope she loves it.