CHAPTER 69

I dreamed of a wedding of elaborate elegance, the venue filled with friends and family. I asked him what kind of wedding he wished for. He said the one that would make me his wife.

Ruhee was twisting and turning in bed. Sleep was not at all coming to her. She didn't have a proper dinner aswell, she had this anxious insane feeling bubbling inside of her. She was super excited and super terrified at the same time. All her Aunt's and Uncle's had gone to their respective hotels after dinner, it was just her family at home. Ruhee turned to her right and signed, she turned to her left and signed, she turned back to her right and signed again.

It's tomorrow, it's tomorrow!

These two words kept on roaming in her head, 'Can't sleep?' She heard her brother ask her. She signed again and sat up. She looked over to him to see him already sitting up, 'Yeah.' She said. Her brother nodded, 'Could tell by the constant signning.' As soon as he said that, Ruhee signed again, 'There it is again.' He brother pointed out. Ruhee let out a slight laugh, 'I am just.... I'm just...scared for some reason. Can we call off the wedding?' Ruhee blurted out. Ian's eyes went wide, 'Are you insane!?'

Ruhee's shoulders slumped, 'I know, it's an insane thought.' 'But...' she heard her brother start and she looked at him, 'If you really want to run away, I'll help.' Her brother said. She looked at him wide eyed, 'Hey, I might be insanely irritating but I am still your elder brother. If my sister says No, it's a No.' Ruhee's expressions turned soft and she smiled. Her eyes had become watery, she looked up and fanned herself with her hands to stop the tears.

What am I gonna do without my brother?

Ruhee got off the bed and went over to her brother's, 'I'm going to miss you irritating me.' She said and hugged him. Ian had also gotten emotional but as they say, men don't cry, at least not in front of others so he pushed her out, 'Okay, that's enough. Get out of the room and take a walk. Get some air standing in the balcony. Clear your mind from all the pre wedding jitters.' He said. Ruhee walked out the room knowing very well that her brother was emotional now. She came out and saw all the packed gifts and stuff. She noticed that the living room light was on.

She smiled and walked into the living room to see her father up, 'When are you ever going to listen, Abbu? You are supposed to sleep at night and not stay awake.' Ruhee scolded her father who looked at her and smiled, 'Not sleepy?' Her father asked, 'I scold you and inturn you ask me the same question and yes, I am not at all sleepy.' 'Go in and sleep next to your Ammi tonight, I'll sleep with your brother today.' Her father suggests, 'Really?' Ruhee asked confirming and her father nods.

Ruhee excitedly opens the bedroom door to see Sana sleeping on the floor. She signed looking at her sister's weird sleeping position.

How can someone sleep in that position?

Ruhee adjusts Sana so that she is sleeping properly and probably won't feel any pain in some parts when she wakes up. Ruhee signs as she stares at her cute sister.

What is she gonna do without me?

She looks at the bed to see her mother sleeping peacefully. She climbs onto the bed and puts her legs under the cover ever so slowly and lays her head down. She encircles her arm around her mother, hugging her from the back. She places her cheek on her mother's back amd signs in content. Ruhee felt a hand being placed on top of hers on her mother's belly and she smiles. Her mother slightly starts patting her hand but Ruhee makes a negative noise. Ruhee doesn't like when someone taps her to sleep, very disturbing.

Her mother stops and speaks up in her half asleep voice, 'Scared?' 'Terrified. 'Ruhee replies, 'of what?' Her mother asks, 'Maybe of a new beginning?' 'And what is terrifying about that?' 'Will I be suited for the new life? Will I be able to handle the responsibility of a wife and a daughter-in-law? Will I be able to balance it.' 'Of course, you will. You managed it for three months effortlessly, you can do it for a life time aswell.' Her mother reminds her of the three months she spent at that house.

'Ruhee, getting married doesn't mean just being responsible, it also means being clumsy.' Ruhee frowned at her mother's choice of words, 'Marriage is the most clumsy and overrated celebration. People make a big deal out of marriage and scare the newlyweds, but it's nothing to be scared of. You both are willing to accept each other the way you are, and even the clumsy you. So, relax. You'll be a wonderful wife and daughter-in-law.' Ruhee nodded and smiled, all she needed was a talk with her mother.

The sun was shining bright in the sky and everyone was ready, except Ruhee. The young bride had over slept on her wedding day and her make up artist was also no where in sight. Ruhee just got out of the shower and the bell rang, 'Ruhee, Afza is here.' Her mother yells. Afza walks into Ruhee's room, 'Hello my bride, ready for your makeup.' Afza asks, 'Yup, just need to dry my hair first.' Ruhee says, 'Sit down, I'll do it.' Ruhee sat in front of the dressing table as Afza dried her hair. Once it was dry, Afza helped her free all the tangles and tied her hair into a classic briaded bun.

Afza pulled out her make up and she was about to touch her face when Ruhee caught her hand. Afza signed and said, 'I know, keep it natural.' Afza began her makeup and did keep it natural, 'Done.' Ruhee opened her eyes and smiled. Her face looked flawless with a very thin layer of foundation. Her eyes were graced with golden eyeshadow with hints of red, of course the eyeliner and mascara. Her blush was pink and on point, not too much and not too little and with the reddish nude lipstick, she was ready.

Ruhee got up and hugged Afza, 'Thanks.' She said, 'Oh c'mon. We both had already decided that I'll do your wedding makeup. I was preparing since then. Now, get dressed. I came all the way here and I am not leaving without seeing you all dressed.' 'For that, you need to get out.' Ruhee said, Afza scowled at her and walked out. Ruhee looked at her dress laid on the bed and smiled.

Let's get dressed.

Ruhee first wore the beautiful red lehenga and then the golden long top. She pinned one corner of her net printed golden dupatta at the back of the lehenga under the long top and brought it from the side cut of the top crossing the chest and over her shoulder. The dupatta landed right above the ground at her back. She covered her hair with a side cross styled turban and from under the cross of the turban hung the beautiful jhoomar. She had not completely hidden her ears, enough to show her beautiful earrings. She wore her neck jewellery and bangles and rings, and of course the Wifey watch. She put on her heels and finally, she put the beautiful golden maizar over her head.

Ruhee analyzed herself in the mirror and she looked beautiful. She was so excited to show herself to her family.

Let's go!

Emaan Shariff was asking the boys, which were all Ruhee's cousins, to take the packages and Ruhee's luggage down to the car. As the last package went out, he signed in relief. He heard the door to Ruhee's room open and out walked his beautiful daughter dressed as a bride. Ruhee held the lehenga up a little as she walked to her family. Everyone had stopped their work and just looked at the bride. Emaan Shariff had tears in his eyes, his daughter had really become a bride and would not be coming home with him later today.

He slowly walked over to his daughter, controlling his tears and looked at her top to bottom and smiled the biggest smile. Ruhee noticed the tears in her father's eyes and her eyes welled up. Her father placed his trembling hand on her head, 'My daughter has really become a bride today.' Ruhee's mother came to stand next to her husband, 'And she is the most beautiful bride ever.' She added. Ruhee let out a small laugh.

Ruhee tried to keep her tears in but was finding it very hard. Ruhee looked at her brother who just showed the okay sign. She looked at Afza who was wiping her own tears and Sana, she came running and hugged her sister's waist, 'Promise you'll visit often?' Sana asked in her sad voice. Ruhee pulled Sana back and looked down at her, 'of course, and I'll visit so often that it won't even seem like I left.' Sana nodded her head wiping her tears, 'It's time to leave. Don't want all the guests to know that we are late cause the bride over slept.' Her brother joked to lighten the mood and everyone laughed along.

After poking some tissue into Ruhee's eyes, Afza also left. Ruhee's father pulled down the maizar a little, covering half of her face, 'Let's go.' He said and they left. Ruhee got in the car and looked out the window and smiled.

It's D - Day.