CHAPTER 61

You might think you know someone very well, but suddenly you learn something new about them and worry. 'How come I didn't know that?' well it's okay, we learn new things everyday, about something or someone. It's a process, we can never know everything at times.

Aayan was getting excited as time went by and their wedding day was nearing. Everyone was busy, especially his mother. She is so keen on making this day perfect. When he asked why she was putting so much effort, all she said was 'It's my only son's wedding, of course I'll put in all my effort.' He couldn't say anything to that.

He was sitting in the living room watching sports peacefully. He still couldn't understand why he was not allowed to meet Ruhee. Technically, they are married, then why? Not just the elders, but even Ruhee is denying to meet up. He let's out a heavy sign as he thinks this again.

Doesn't she want to see me aswell?

Just then, Aayan's mother walks in holding a note pad in her hand and a pencil between her teeth. She sits next to him and says, 'Okay, so I have made a list of all the guests I need to invite, as the invitation cards will be here tomorrow. And I need to go house to house to invite them with Shifa di, but it's okay.' Sahma was kinda talking to herself.

Aayan looked at his mother as he tried to control his smile. Yes, his mother was putting in a lot of effort and energy in this, but she was also happy.

Maybe happy is not the right word, she is more, Illated.

Aayan was so lost in his happy thoughts of his mother that he didn't catch what she asked him, '....yes?' Sahma stared at her son, waiting for a reply, but Aayan had no idea what to reply, or more like, to what to reply.

He just blinked at his mother, 'Aayan?' she calls out to him, 'Yes, Ammi?' he wanted her to repeat her question without her realising that he didn't catch it the first time, 'Do you want me to read out the guest list?' Aayan signs internally, 'Yes, Ammi, Sure.' Aayan replies with a smile. Sahma looks at her notepad and starts reading out the names, 'Naman and his family, Aamina and her family, Rayhana and her husband......'

1 hour later.

'...... Janet and her kids. Yes, I know, she is our maid, but she needs to come. Then, Rahman bhaijan and Zennat Bhabhi,...' Aayan was regretting asking his mother to read out the list. No, she is not inviting alot of people, but the explanation she was giving for inviting that specific someone was boring him.

No wonder the elders are best at invitations. I hardly know any of them.

'.... Hydari and Mahir, Farheen, of course ....' These names caught Aayan's attention, 'Who?' he asks in alert. His mother turns to look at him and repeats, 'Farheen, you know. Your investors daughter. Why? You don't want to invite her?' Aayan shakes his head and says, 'No, I mean yes, I mean. Ugh, we'll come to her later. Why Hydari and Mahir?' Sahma looks at him dumbfounded, 'Because they are family.' 'Family that despises us.' Aayan adds.

Sahma signs and turns to him, 'Listen Aayan, no matter how much they not like us, they are family. If they don't like us, doesn't mean we do not like them.' Sahma explains. Aayan nods his head and says, 'If we means me and you, then you are wrong. I don't like them. What if they create a scene at my wedding? No way, I will not let them ruin my special day.' 'They won't.' she says, 'How can you be so sure?' Aayan questions, 'Beacuse I know.' 'That is not an answer, Ammi.' 'I am inviting them and that's final.' Sahma says in finality.

Aayan signs, his mother was being stubborn and he could do nothing about it, 'Okay, fine. Let's do this, if Ruhee agrees to invite them, we'll invite them.' Aayan suggests. Sahma thinks for a while and then answers, 'Okay.' Aayan smiles in satisfaction and turns to pick up his mobile, but Sahma stops him, 'Woah, Woah, Woah. What do you think you are doing?' 'Calling Ruhee.' 'You are not allowed to do that.' Aayan looks at his mother bewildered, 'But I am just calling her, not seeing her face to face.'

'No, not allowed till the wedding.' Sahma says, 'But Ammi...' Aayan begins to whine, 'Nope, I'll call her.' Sahma picks up her mobile and dials Ruhee's number, 'And you cannot talk while I am speaking, understood.' Sahma warns, Aayan nods sulking, 'Hello, Ammi?' Ruhee answers in her cheerful voice and an instant smile forms on Aayan's lips.

Sahma smiles at her son's sudden change of mood. Sahma concentrates back to the call, 'How are you, dear?' She asks, 'Alhamdulillah, I am doing well, Ammi. What about you?' she asks back, 'Alhamdulillah, I am also fine.' Aayan had not heard her voice for a really long time. They only text each other, and listening to her voice today, he misses her more.

'Ruhee dear, I have a question for you?' Sahma asks, 'Yes, Ammi?' Ruhee urges her to continue, 'Would you like to invite Hydari and Mahir, Aayan's step-brother, to your wedding?' Sahma asks, and in an instant Ruhee replies, 'Of course, Ammi. Why not? They are part of the family.' Sahma smiles at Ruhee's reply. She was really happy that Aayan was going to marry such a good hearted girl.

While Sahma was feeling proud, Aayan was devastated. He couldn't believe she agreed. His mouth was literally hanging open, 'In fact, Ammi, I was wondering to ask?' Ruhee talks on the call, 'Yes, dear?' Sahma urges her to continue, 'Can I go to there home and personally invite them?' Ruhee asks. Sahma was shocked, but Aayan had just got his second attack. Sahma blinks for a while not knowing what to say. She looks at Aayan and she almost laughed.

He looked like he just saw a ghost, not like he is scared of one, but you can guess the face. Sahma took a moment and said, 'Are you sure, dear?' 'Yes, Ammi. I want them to know Me.' Ruhee replies sweetly. Sahma smiles at her and agrees. And there, Aayan got his third shock. After some more chatting, Sahma cut the call. She looks at Aayan and says, 'A bug might enter, close your mouth.'

Aayan suddenly stands up and says loudly, 'How can you let her go?' 'Because I can.' Sahma replies, 'Ammi, what if they belittle her?' Aayan questions, 'That she is getting married to me, an illegitimate child.' Sahma looks at her son and stands up, 'If you are that worried about her, why don't you go with her. Pick her up from her home, take her to Hydari's house, stay with her till she is there, and drop her back home. I'll let you see her only for that much duration.' she says, 'Really?' Aayan asks happy but later adds in with a serious tone, 'Okay then, I'll go and protect her.' 'But...' Sahma starts, '.... You will not open your mouth and say a word the whole time you are with her.'

Aayan stares at his mother astonished, 'What? Then how will I defend her?' 'You don't need to, because I know Ruhee can speak for herself. So, you go with her and do nothing. I believe you'll listen to what I say.' Sahma says and walks into her room, 'Okay, but if she doesn't, then I will.' he yells back at his mother. Sahma doesn't say anything and bangs the door shut. Aayan slumps back on the couch and stares at the screen.

Mahir better watch his mouth tomorrow or he won't have one.