CHAPTER 65

Does this dress make me look like a Mrs.?

Ruhee, Sahma and Zainab entered the boutique. Ruhee looked around and was instantly in love with every dress in that shop, 'I know, I love every dress aswell.' Ruhee heard Zainab say from beside her and she turned to look at her and the two girls giggled along. You guessed it right, today they have come to get clothes for the bride.

A lady in her mid 50s walks over to Sahma with a big smile on her face, 'Oh Sahma, welcome. How have you been?' the two women engulf each other in a big happy hug. As these women exchange some laughs and talks, Ruhee stared at them confused, 'That's Mehnaz, the owner and designer of this boutique. She has been Aunt's friend since school.' Zainab says, making it a bit clear for Ruhee.

The ladies suddenly turn to look at Ruhee. Ruhee showcases an awkward smile as Mehnaz walks over to her, 'Oh, Mashallah. Sahma, she is so lovely.' Mehnaz says, holding Ruhee's shoulder and giving her a honest smile, 'Are you sure you wanna marry, Aayan?' Mehnaz asks her. Ruhee was confused at the choice of question. Usually when people meet, they ask how they are or in this case, what wedding dress are you expecting. But she straight away asked if she is sure of getting married to the man she loves.

Ruhee glanced at Sahma uncertain, 'Oh Mehnaz, stop teasing the girl. And my son is not that bad.' Sahma says. Mehnaz gasps and turns to look at her friend, 'Not that bad? When he first came to my boutique, do you remember what he said?' Mehnaz stands with her back straight and speaks in a gruff voice, 'Aunt Mehnaz, it's amusing how a tailor can open such a good boutique.' Mehnaz puts her hands on her hips and glares at Sahma, 'That's what he said. That brat excaped cause I was busy or I would have whipped his ass.' Ruhee had her eyes wide on hearing this.

Waah! Aayan had some guts to call a famous fashion designer a tailor.

'Oh, he was a baby that time.' Sahma defends, 'Yeah, a 17 year old baby.' Mehnaz adds with Sarcasm. Ruhee just stared dumbfounded as the two friends quarrel. Out of nowhere, she felt a tug on her arm. She turned to look at Zainab signalling her to follow her. Ruhee looked back at the still arguing duo and back at Zainab, who had already started walking away. She looked back at the fighting friends and then back at Zainab, and finally decided to wait till the fight ends.

Shouldn't leave Ammi alone.

So, Ruhee stood there and watched the quarrel. After sometime, Ruhee was yanked back by Zainab, 'When I tugged you, I meant you to follow me. Not stand there like a fool.' Zainab was dragging Ruhee by her arm and Ruhee followed without any struggle, 'They are like that only, they wil fight till their tired. We'll do what we came here for, Shopping!!!' Ruhee smiled at Zainab's enthusiasm.

'I have come to this store so many times, I know it like the back of my hand. Even my wedding dress was a Mehnaz Hamdah original.' Zainab had shown Ruhee her wedding dress and she was in love with it. Ruhee was really excited. She wanted to find the perfect wedding dress. They came to a stop and before them were an array of lehengas'. Ruhee walked forward mesmerized and grazed her fingers over the fabric of the clothes. She loved all of them.

How am I gonna choose one from all these beauties?

'I know you are worried how you will select just one from all of these...' Ruhee turned to look at Zainab with shock as she just read what was in her mind. Zainab smiled at her and said, 'I was in your position once.' Zainab cleared for her and Ruhee nodded her head. Zainab clapped her hands and shot her questions at Ruhee, 'Any specific colour?' 'Red' Ruhee replied, 'How do you want the blouse?' Zainab asked. Ruhee didn't know what that meant, 'Stiched?' It was more like a question.

Zainab signed heavily and said, 'I guess you have no idea what you wanna wear?' Ruhee shook her head guilty, 'No worries, not all brides leave with what was on their mind. They leave with something even prettier.' Ruhee smiled at Zainab. Zainab walked around the hanging dresses analyzing them from top to bottom. She suddenly pointed her finger to a curtain closed chamber, 'Get in there and undress.' Ruhee's eyes went wide.

Undress?

'I'll pass you some clothes, try them on.' Zainab finished. Ruhee signed in relief. Zainab just scared her for some reason. Ruhee walked into the chamber and slid it open. She stepped in and slid it close and did what she was told. She saw a robe hanging inside, so she covered herself with it. Suddenly, a dress popped in, 'Try this.' Ruhee took the dress from Zainab's hand and analyzed it. It was red lehenga and blouse with white beads.

As Ruhee was getting changed, she could hear voices from outside, 'Here you are? We were worried when both of you were not in sight.' Ruhee heard Sahma say, 'You were worried, not me. I knew exactly where you would have been.' Ruhee heard Mehnaz say, 'Where is Ruhee?' Sahma asked. After a pause, 'In there? Did you find a dress?' Mehnaz asked surprised, 'Nope, just trying.' Ruhee was dressed now, so she slid the curtain open. All three heads turned to her and their eyes went wide.

Ruhee stood their anxiously while the ladies stared at her. Sahma slowly walked over to her and placed her hand on her shoulder, 'Ruhee dear, you look lovely,..' Ruhee ducked her head getting shy, '.... But that dress is so not for you.' Ruhee immediately looked up and frowned. She looked behind Sahma to see the other two nod along. Ruhee walked away from Sahma and looked into the floor length mirror and they were right. The dress was beautiful but not for her.

'It's okay, that dress gave me an idea on what would not look good on you, so I can make you try something that would look good on you. That dress is more Zainab style.' Mehnaz mentioned and eyed Zainab from the corner of her eye, who just looked away. Ruhee got back into the changing chamber and got out of the dress.

One by one, dresses were handed to her and she tried them on. Each dress had a different feedback, 'Too shiny.' 'Too bland.' 'Too simple.' 'I like the lehenga.' 'Too extravagant.' 'Makes your eyes die.' 'Too heavy.' 'I like this blouse.' 'You look sleepy.' 'No.' 'Try this.' Ruhee slumped next to Sahma, 'I am tired.' Ruhee said. Sahma handed her a glass of water which she gulped down. Mehnaz just stared at the two dresses that were good on Ruhee, but only half by half.

Mehnaz snapped her fingers and said, 'Aah, if the blouse on this and lehenga on this look good, why don't we mix and match them.' So, Mehnaz took the blouse and paired it with the lehenga. She gave them to Ruhee and Ruhee walked into the chamber again and came out changed. Mehnaz's eyes went wide and she smiled. She quickly walked to a stand and came back with a net dupatta. She places it over Ruhee's shoulder and smiled.

Mehnaz turned to a mesmerized Sahma and asked, 'Did you bring the maizar?' Sahma nodded and pulled out a bag from inside her bag and handed it to Mehnaz, who opened it and placed it over Ruhee's head and pinned it. She took tiny steps back from Ruhee and a satisfied smile grazed her lips. Ruhee looked at Zainab who had adoration written all over her face. She looked at Sahma to see her eyes tear up.

Is this really that good on me?

Ruhee carefully walked in front of the mirror. Her eyes widened and welled up. She looked beautiful. The mix and match dress fit so well, it looked one. Ruhee was dressed in a salmon skin long, knee length, golden blouse and a royel red rehenga with gold floral embroidery. A bold gold bordered and floral embroidery net dupatta was draped over her left shoulder and a gorgeous golden maizar was lying over her head. In short, She looked like a bride

'We'll take it.' Ruhee heard Sahma say. Ruhee turned to Sahma who was walking towards her. Sahma placed her palm on Ruhee's cheek and said, 'You look so beautiful.' Ruhee smiled as both their eyes teared up, 'Aayan is gonna get so jealous when I tell him how good you look.' Zainab voiced and everyone cracked up. Ruhee glanced at Mehnaz who was also wiping her tears.

Sahma hugged Mehnaz as it was time to leave, 'Thank you.' Sahma said, 'You are most welcome.' Mehnaz said. Ruhee also came to hug Mehnaz and Mehnaz whispered in her ear, 'I am glad you are marrying, Aayan.' they pulled back and smiled a knowing smile. Zainab hugged Mehnaz and the ladies left for their homes. Sahma handed Ruhee her dress and also the Maizar, 'Can't wait to see you all dolled up in that dress.' Sahma said and Ruhee smiled.

I can't wait to wear it aswell.