CHAPTER 73

Every language has a different way to say time, but it means the same in any language. Time once lost can never come back.

Ruhee turns in bed and her left hand lands on something. She opens her eyes to come face to face with her husband. His face was not close but was not far at the same time. Ruhee just stared at his peaceful face as a smile grazed her lips. Ruhee noticed that her hand had landed on Aayan's open hand. She was about to pull it back when Aayan's hand closed over hers. She looked at his face again to see his eyes flutter open. Aayan's sleepy eyes stared back at Ruhee's wide eyes and a small smile grazed his lips. They just stared at each other lost in the moment. Aayan's eyes shifted to Ruhee's lips and then back to her eyes.

Ruhee's heartbeat had suddenly increased. Aayan looked back to her lips and moved his face forward slowly. Ruhee immediately shut her eyes for an unknown reason. Ruhee could feel Aayan's breath fanning on her face when suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Ruhee opened her eyes to find Aayan's face just an inch away. Aayan groaned as he let his head fall back on the pillow. Another knock was heard followed by a voice, 'Rise and shine, love birds!' It was Zainab. Aayan placed his hands on his head annoyed. Ruhee was still stunned by the moment before and froze in place, 'What?' Aayan yelled at the door, 'Auntie wants you two down for breakfast. Get up, get up.' Zainab replied. Ruhee came out of her resolve and sat up, 'We'll be there soon.' Ruhee replied and they heard Zainab walk away.

Ruhee placed her hand on her neck but she couldn't feel her jewellery. She looked over herself to find all her jewellery and hijab off. She frowned in confusion.

Was I robbed in my sleep or something?

Ruhee turned to Aayan and asked, 'Where did my jewellery go?' Aayan moved his hands away from his face and looked at her, 'It's on the bedside table.' Ruhee turned to look at the bedside table and found her jewellery, 'Who took it off?' She aksed no one in particular, 'Me.' She heard Aayan's voice from beside her. She turned to look at him and found him resting his head on his palm supported by the elbow, 'You?' Ruhee asked again not sure if she heard right and Aayan nodded his head, 'I even took off your hijab and wiped your makeup. Who knew this was to be done on a wedding night.' Saying this, Aayan once again layed flat on the bed.

Ruhee's cheeks heated up and she got off the bed. She took her jewellery and hijab and walked into the closet. She closed the door behind her and let out a sign of relief. She had no clue why she was so tense. She shoved the feeling aside and went into the bathroom to freshen up. Ruhee came out of the bathroom dressed in a baby pink kurti and white bottom with a dupatta hanging on her left shoulder. She saw Aayan standing in front of his open cupboard, staring at her. She smiled at him and walked over to the mirror while wiping her wet hair. Ruhee gathered her hair over her right shoulder and picked up the earings from the dresser beside her and wore them.

She then wore a simple necklace and was adjusting it on her neck when she felt arms circling around her waist. She stiffened for a moment but later relaxed when she saw it was Aayan in the mirror as he placed his chin on her left shoulder. Ruhee could feel her back against Aayan's front and her heart beat accelerated, 'You look pretty in pink.' He whispered to her. Ruhee bent her head down to hide the growing smile from the compliment. Aayan pulled Ruhee closer to himself and hummed in delight. Ruhee pursed her lips, 'Aayan.' She slowly called out his name, Aayan hummed in response, 'They are waiting for us.' She said, 'Who?' Aayan asked, 'Our Family.'

Aayan pulled back and looked at his wife, astonished. Ruhee turned to look at him and gave him a honest smile. Aayan was feeling all fuzzy inside and a smile grazed his lips. Ruhee didn't know how it happened so fast but Aayan immediately bent forward and captured her lips. Her eyes went wide as she felt Aayan's lips pressed to hers. Aayan pulled back and winked at her before casually walking into the bathroom to freshen up. Ruhee just stood there frozen in place. After couple of minutes, she turned around to look at her face in the mirror to see it red. She tapped her face with her hands to reduce the heat.