Chapter 53: August's POV

At dinner, it was if I were an alien sitting at a table in the grand hall. Most of the wolves we encountered wanted nothing to do with me. When they showed evident distaste in my presence, Alexandre would ignore them. Alexandre and I found a table to sit at and just talked amongst ourselves, wanting to miss the hostile looks my way.

"Just keep your head up little one; you're stronger than what they believe you to be." My mate pressed his lips to my temple. There were Omega's carrying trays around handing out beverages and hors d 'oeuvres.

"It's hard, you're not the one being looked at with malicious eyes," I whined to him.

"Pff, most are looking at me with murder in their eyes. This isn't even all of them, more will show up tomorrow. Just wait." He nudged me. "I'm pretty sure there are a few that want to challenge me already."

"I wouldn't doubt it." I sighed, leaning my head on Alexandre's shoulder.

"So, you're the controversial topic for the night." Aasira plopped herself down at the table. "It's funny to listen to these guys- who have sticks so far up their ass, talk so sorely about you."

"They talk just as terribly about me normally, this year they don't even acknowledge me. The things they've said about you August, please don't leave Alexandre's side." Brantley pleaded, clutching on his mates arm like a security blanket.

Another Alpha sat at the table. I realized it was the guy Alexandre had talked to earlier when we had arrived.

"Hey Oli, how've you been? Is Amelia here with you?" Aasira asked.

"Amelia is here, she's just feeding the pup before she puts him to bed for the night," Oliver explained, he held a wine glass full of wine. "He's a little shite." He took a sip of the red liquid.

"Well, you're older than dirt; you needed an heir." Alexandre chuckled.

"Oh fuck off, would you? I've got what, eight years on you?" He quirked his eyebrow at my mate.

"Eight years too much."

"Why are you the only group of somewhat decent people in this room and still irritate the living hell out of me?" He slouched in the chair, rubbing his fingers on his temple.

"Sheer luck." Alexander laughed.

"So," Oliver looked at me. "Tell me about your Omega." He nodded at me, I directed my eyes elsewhere, my cheeks flared up. "I hear he's the talk of the town, so many foul looks our way."

"It doesn't matter, August is my mate and what happens in our bedroom has nothing to do with them. His caste has nothing to do with anything." Alexandre snapped.

Oliver sat the wine glass down on the table, finished with the beverage. "I'm just saying, they're saying nothing nice about you two right now, you need to watch your back this week. I'm already hearing talk of some challenging you, Alex."

"It's not like I didn't expect it, I didn't train for months on end to fail." Alexandre ran his fingers through his locks in frustration.

"Just don't kill 'em."

The Omega that helped Alexandre and I to our room grabbed up Oliver's empty glass and sat another down in front of him. He also sat one down in front of Alexandre and me, I timidly reached forward, grabbing onto the glass, taking a sip of the liquor. There was a clicking sound from the front of the hall, Abram stood tall among the crowd. The chatter died down, and the focus was directed toward the Alpha.

I noticed the blonde Omega's attention was focused on Abram, all other Omega's were still shuffling around the room, doing their duties, but he stared at the Alpha with want in his eyes. It was like all of the gears in my head clicked, I don't think anyone else would notice, but I did. Abram kept going over what the plan was for the next week. He explained that he should be receiving the rest of the Alpha's tomorrow by noon.