Chapter 1 of "Yes, Your Highness"

Chapter 1

"Oh, Wynter," His mother cooed, cradling his head in her hands. Wynter was leaving home to work in the palace. It was a great opportunity, getting to work for the castle, his meals would be provided to him, he was assigned living quarters, meaning most, if not all, money he made he could send back home. "I don't want you to go, baby. Who's going to help me with your siblings?" Tears pooled in his mother's eyes.

A few years ago, his father passed away, leaving his mother and siblings to deal with the turmoil. As the eldest child of his parents, he took on the role of nurturing his younger siblings as his mother grieving her mate's death. He had been a part of the King's guard. He had loved serving Alpha King Weston before his passing. Wynter's family had been handsomely compensated for their father's death, defending their rightful King. It had taken care of his family for three years before the money started running out. His mother could no longer keep up with the bills.

Wynter's father had been their primary source of income. His mother was only an obscure seamstress, making ball gowns or patching up other clothes. The amount of money she would pull in barely kept the lights on through the winter. He thanked the Goddess that his mother had paid off the house with the lump sum of money, so they still had a place to live in. Wynter had gotten a part-time job at the baker's shop; that's what had put food on the table for his family for a while. It wasn't much," but that's all they had.

"We gotta let him go, mom; I'm tired of cabbage stew." His younger brother Kasey whined.

"You heard the kid mom, plus from what I saw, I'm allowed to have one holiday off a year. I could, of course, ask for Christmas off or New Years to see you guys. I'm not leaving forever!" Wynter grinned at his mom. She pulled her son into her embrace, starting to let the tears she had been trying to hold back fall from her eyes.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you!" She bawled.

"Don't worry, mom, you've got Easton to help you. He's nearing fourteen!" Wynter said, pulling back, wiping his mother's tears from her eyes with his thumbs. "Plus, this will be good for you, so you don't have to worry about bills. They're offering me more than the baker's shop would ever. Plus, you won't have to worry about another mouth to feed. My meals and boarding are included in the package! This is something that is going to be the best for you and the brats." He teased his younger sibling, nudging Kasey.

"I'm not a brat. Mommy, tell him I'm not a brat." Kasey whined, pulling his thumb out of his mouth.

"You're not a brat." Bella pulled out of Wynter's embrace, patting the younger submissive on the head. "Why don't you go and play with the other kids, baby? I'm trying to talk to Wynter about some things." She gave Kasey a gloomy look.

Once the two of them were alone, Wynter's mother sat on his bed. She patted the space right next to her, making him sit down. Wynter wrapped his arm around his mother's shoulder, and she leaned her head down on his shoulder. "Mom, everything will be alright. I really want to help you."

"I know, baby, I really do appreciate it. What happens if you find your mate?" She sniffed, wiping the tears that continuously fell from her eyes.

"I'll still send as much money as I can, mom, right now. Times are tough, and working for the kingdom is the best option to get a good, steady income." Wynter replied.

"Baby, I can't do that. The money you make will be for you, I'll take up another job or something. I want you to save as much money as possible to start out your future. I want you to have a flourished life." She looked at her eldest son.

"As long as you and my siblings are taken care of, my life is full." His lips wobbled. He so desperately did not want the news of him setting off toward the palace to be sad news, but happy news. The struggle that they have gone through without his father was not the life he wanted for his siblings. It was already going to be hard enough for his youngest siblings.