Chapter 55: August's POV

A handful of Luna's had been given permission to take over the kitchen the next day. I was taking my second attempt at macarons. Brantley was helping me because he didn't want to do what the other ladies were trying. He also explained that he felt a little more comfortable now that another submissive male was in the group.

"So when you're making meringue, you need to slowly add the sugar in or else the liquid, the sugar will make it to where you cannot get it to peak because it'll be runny. In the words of my mom, we need to 'Beat the shit out of it.'" I laughed, swirling the mixer in the bowl filled with egg whites.

"Kind of like you did with that one, Alpha?" Brantley snickered, slowly adding the sugar mixture in.

"Exactly how I did with that one Alpha." I chuckled. We continued throwing jabs at Ethan as we prepared the cookie part of the macrons. "Now we gotta throw down on the pan, like imagine slamming it down on some of these big-headed Alpha's. Gotta get the air bubbles out." I slammed the baking sheet down on the counter. Brantley did the same with his sheet of cookies, drawing attention to us. Once I was satisfied with them, we waited until the film covered the cookies, then we put them inside the oven and set the timer.

"I hope they turn out well," Brantley explained, wiping down the area we had used. I grabbed the mixing bowls we had used, putting them in the sink. I grabbed another mixing bowl and ingredients to make the icing.

"I think they will; my first attempt wasn't a complete flop, I just made the icing too sweet, and we didn't bake them long enough. So I think we have a ninety-five percent chance of them being good." I clapped my hands.

Halfway through making the icing, the most goddess awful smell filled the large kitchen. "Woah, hey August, are you alright?" Brantley asked. "You're practically green right now." The submissive rubbed my back.

"You don't smell that?" I asked, talking was a mistake. I gagged, running to the closest bin, vomiting my lunch.

"Are you alright?" I clenched onto the trash can, throwing up again. "Hey, get him some water, don't just stand there," Amelia demanded, rubbing my back.

Once I was finished, I pushed myself up, wiping the corner of my mouth with the back of my hand. "You don't smell that?" I asked, pointing in the direction of the terrible smell.

"I don't smell anything wrong, August," Brantley handed me a glass of water. I grabbed it with both hands, I gulped in a mouthful of water and swished it around my mouth, trying to get the vomit taste out of my mouth. I spat the water out in the sink. "Are you sure you're alright, do you need to go lay down? I can walk you to your room." He gently put his hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head, knowing I would just have to tough it out. "I'll be fine, just let me wash my hands, and we can finish baking," I explained, my eyes began to water at the smell. It was still overpowering, and I wanted to get away from it as soon as possible. I let my eyes wander around the room. I noticed a few Luna's balling up meat where the wretched smell came from; I lifted a shaky hand and pointed to them. "That's the smell; the meat is rotten."

"August, that meat is fresh, are you sure you're alright? Why don't we get a chair for you to sit in?" Amelia asked.

"No, I'm fine; maybe I'm just stressed out," I sipped on the water. "Or maybe I just smelled something else." I tried to reason with myself, it wasn't working too well.

"Uh, huh," Brantley didn't seem convinced. "I'm going to take August up to his room so he can brush his teeth." He grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the kitchen.

He took me towards the rooms where we were assigned to. He walked past my room and took me to his and Aasira's room. The bed was neatly made, their night outfits for tonight's celebration were laid out on the duvet. He went into the ensuite bathroom and came back with a wrapped stick.