Chapter 64: Alexandre's POV

A/N: Revised not edited will be edited at a later date. Sorry for the wait.

Slowly but surely August started getting back to himself. After the day he planted a tree for our lost pup, and made love for the first time in months, he slowly began getting back to his normal routine. He began running with me in the mornings again, despite my protests, telling him that he no longer had to do morning patrols with me at all.

Joy fluttered in my heart when he argued that he would do it regardless and if I didn't go with him he would go with someone else or alone. He knew I wouldn't let that happen, so begrudgingly, I let him go on morning patrols together. One morning we decided to let Dimitri and Winston have their time together, it ended with me having to pick out leaves and mud out of August's fur because they decided that the patrol wasn't all that important and they decided to have their way with each other in their goddess given form.

Winston was lucky he was cute, otherwise I would have told them that they wouldn't have control for a month. Dimitri got angry at those thoughts telling me it was unfair because August and I are together more often than him and Winston. I ended up promising him that at least once a week I would let him spend time with his other half.

Seeing August doing better, it pained me seeing my mate suffer mentally from the loss of our first pup. After a long day he'd ask me to sit with him at the memorial, and lay his head on my shoulder. I could tell he still hurt, but he knew he couldn't dwell on the past and the what if's.

"Hmm, Xandre do you think I should plan something for the pups at the packhouse for Halloween?" August asked, poking his pencil into his cheek.

"What would you have in mind, love?" I returned the question, walking behind him, putting my hands on his shoulders.

"Maybe do a little party, since they don't have parents to take them trick or treating? Like maybe we could make candy apples or something like that?" He questioned his idea.

"I think it would be more beneficial if you were to make the apples yourself then let the kids add their own sprinkles. I think it would be less messy and there would be less injuries that way." I chuckled.

"Hmm," August rubbed the blue stone that Harman had sent to him days after finding out about the loss of our pup. I had drilled a hole in it and made it a necklace for him because it seemed to calm him down when he began to overthink. "You may be on to something there. Would you help me make them?" He tilted his head back looking me in the eyes.

"That'll make me look soft," I chuckled, joking.

"You know you love them kids." He rolled his eyes, writing down on the paper his plans. "Maybe we can invite other pups too, make them feel more included in things other than feeling left out." He nodded his head agreeing to his plan.

"That sounds like a great idea, love." I kissed the top of his head, leaving him to continue what he was working on.

Although Halloween was a week away, I could already feel the itch to my skin of my Rut beginning. August didn't notice the change in my behavior, but as the week would progress, I could feel that it would be harder to control my urges to hold back from him. It had been a year since my last Rut, that got triggered by August's heat. So it would always fall around the same time give or take a few days.

"Alexandre, could you possibly stir the dinner that you've been staring at for ten minutes?" August chuckled.

"Whoops, sorry love." I shook my head trying to focus on the dinner in front of me. "How would you like to start looking for a place to live? I love the cabin but it doesn't feel like home."

"I do agree with that, I kind of want a smaller house than what your parents live in. I couldn't keep up with the upkeep inside." He explained.

I shook my head, "I thought we were planning on having eleven pups." I chuckled.

"I thought I said the factory shuts down at six." He jabbed back, glaring at me.

"Mmm, I could always command you to have eleven." I pursed my lips.

"Pff, you can have eleven kids." He stuck his tongue out at me. "In your imagination that is."

"It would look so freaking awesome though to have an army of mini us's." I waived the spoon around.

"Um, unless you are the one that has to carry them, you have no say." August chunked his pencil at me.

"Did-" I cocked my head to the side. "Did you just fuckin' throw a pencil at me because you disagreed with me."

"I'd fuckin' do it again." August cackled, clutching his chest from his laughter. Soon the laughter became cries of pain. I quickly made my way to my mate, pulling him into my chest.

"Hey, everything's alright." I whispered in his hair, rubbing his back.

"This month we would have had them with us," He mentioned. "Why does it still hurt?" He looked at me with watery eyes. "They're with the goddess, they're okay, why does it hurt so bad Xandre?" He rubbed the stone around his neck, trying to calm himself down.

"Even though they're gone baby it's okay to mourn them baby." I kiss his forehead. "I'm sorry I even brought up the topic."

"I'm not even upset about the topic being brought up right now. I'm just sad because right now we would have our baby with us, had things worked out differently..." He hiccuped, burying his head into my chest.

"If you want to try again soon, we can." I rubbed his sides, trying to soothe him.

"My next heat won't be until near your birthday." He looked up furrowing his eyebrows.

"Hmm, that may be true but you forget a certain incident around this time of year last year where I went into Rut, because your heat before we were mated triggered it. So we honestly could try sooner than you think." I cupped his head between my hands. "The question is, would you want to try? Otherwise I'll need to go to my parents, because I don't think Dimitri will hold back this time. Last time was a tame version of what it will be."

"I'm ready Xandre, but are you?" I nodded my head. "Then we'll try." The shit eating grin that covered his face made my heart leap with joy.

---

As the week progressed I became more possessive over August. I wouldn't let anyone near him, growling at anyone that dared get within a five foot radius of him. He got so tired of my shit he told me to stay at home tonight while he holds the halloween party for the orphaned pups at the pack house. I protested his demands, wanting to be close to him. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold myself back if my Rut started, even in front of the pups.

I flipped through the channels of the TV, nothing really stuck and my mind raced a thousand miles an hour. Dimitri was restless, pacing around in the back of my head. It was taking everything in my power to keep calm and not seek out my mate. I knew he would be coming home as soon as they got the area cleaned up.

I felt like a kid being punished for stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar. I could hear the clock ticking behind me, my body began to itch, I knew I didn't have long until my Alpha urges took over. When my mate got home, I knew my Rut would begin.