𝟓. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐲

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

Elle climbed into a boat with Hermione and another girl who had wavy dark red hair and a round face. She didn't introduce herself instead she just sat shaky looking out into the water. The boats began to drift serenely across the lake and Hermione started stating facts about Hogwarts that Elle remembered reading from the books Lupin had gave her, she didn't pay much attention to Hermione and instead ran her fingertips over the surface of the water gently, feeling the cool water glide through her.

"There's a giant squid in the lake you know" Hermione stated, Elle retracted her hand immediately from the water and Hermione laughed quietly.

The boats rounded the bend and the three girls looked up to see the building which had just come into view. Hogwarts. Elle gazed in awe at the structure, it was large and impressively built, the windows were filled with a golden yellow light which contrasted the dark sky and twinkling stars. The boats all fell silent as every student took in the wonder that was Hogwarts school.

Eventually the boats hit the bank and the kids all climbed out and began to walk up the stairs into the castle. The doors were flung wide and the school felt warm and welcoming like a summers night. They turned to see a large marble staircase which a woman stood proudly on looking down at the gaggle of talking children. She was tall and stern looking in long green velvet robes with her dark hair pulled back into a tight bun.

The children fell silent under her cold gaze but her face warmed as she began to walk down the stairs,
"I'm Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house, Transfiguration teacher and deputy head teacher here at Hogwarts" she smiled smugly,

"In a moment you will be sorted into your Hogwarts houses but until then I tell you that you are now members of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the school had welcomed you and I expect you'll do the same back, here your house will be like your family, you share lessons with them, you share a common room with them and you dine at the same table. I encourage that you connect to people you are surrounded by however everyone at Hogwarts is family, you will be treated like so and I compel you to treat others in the same way".

"Now if you'll follow me" she walked down the steps and began to lead the students to a door, loud voices and chatter could be heard behind it signalling that this was the room that held the rest of the school.

McGonagall opened the doors and marched through, the timid looking students followed behind staring around at the large ancient looking hall. It had tall walls and a ceiling that seemed to replicate the night sky. Elle heard Hermione mention something about it being an enchantment.

There were four long tables each filled with students staring at the kids walking up the isle. Candles floated above these tables providing light to the mahogany below. At the top of the hall sat a row of adult wizards and witches sitting impressively in front of some large windows portraying the navy sky. At the front of these teachers stood a tall man with a long with beard, he wore deep red and orange robes embellished with gold and had small glasses perched on his nose. He seemed kind and warm to look at.