𝟔𝟎. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

The second trial was upon them. The excitement was evident as usual in the common room except for a few students who were hugely against being dragged out of bed so early.

Fred and George were back at it again trying to collect money off students willing to bet. Elle placed two galleons on Cedric as she passed them walking down to the Great Lake with Alicia and Angelina.

They were wrapped in scarves and hats as the February chill was threshing to freeze them. The grass was slippery and wet as they stumbled down to the harbour.

"I hope this is over with soon, I'm freezing" Alicia sighed, wrapping her Gryffindor scarf tighter around her neck and hiding half of her face in it,
"You sound just like George" Elle muttered absent-mindedly as the trio observed the boats bobbing around carelessly.

"Where is this trial taking place anyway" Angelina sighed as she stepped first into the crooked wooden boat that looked as though it was going to break at any given moment,
"Well the lake obviously" Alicia stated smartly causing Angie to roll her eyes.

"No shit Sherlock, I mean whether it was going to be in the middle of the lake or on the shore"
"Well I think that questions been answered" Elle pointed to the large stands built impressively in the centre of the water. Students were all ready crowded on the, cheering and waving flags sporting the colours of their champions.

The three girls hadn't bring any flags but were wearing Gryffindor colours which could look supporting of Potter. The boat pushed away magically from the harbour and they turned to stare at the stands.

"I wouldn't want to go in the lake today"
"I wouldn't want to go in the lake any day, didn't you know there's a giant squid in here" Alicia gulped.
"I thought the twins had just made that up in first year" Angelina admitted "until I saw one of its tentacles giving a student back her potions text book"

"See the squid must be friendly then"
"How did the potions book get in the lake in the first place?"

✰✰✰

Elle clambered out of the boat clumsily and was helped out by Lee Jordan who was already standing by with Katie and Lauren. They weren't as perplexed about having to get up at the crack of dawn and therefore seemed to have made it down earlier.

"Have you seen the twins anywhere, I wanted to place a bet?" Lee grinned as he helped pull Angelina and Alicia up into the stands,
"I'm sure they'll be here shortly" Elle shrugged.

"We better get a good seat" Lauren smiled "we don't want to miss this".
They saved two seats for the missing twins and gazed over the surface of the water as though expecting something to jump out.

"What is this trial anyway, a swimming contest?" Alicia frowned,
"I heard it has something to do with the mer people in the lake" Katie gushed excitedly,
"If the trials in the lake then how are we going to see any of it?" everyone fell silent at this enquiry as no one had a good answer.