𝟔𝟓. 𝐜𝐞𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐜 𝐝𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐨𝐫𝐲

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

Faltering for a moment, Elle stared sympathetically at Cedric who hadn't noticed her presence yet. He was sitting with his back against the wall and his head in his hands. She didn't know how to approach him. Maybe she should just leave him in peace, but that didn't seem right.

"Cedric?" Elle's voice came out louder than she'd expected in the empty echoing corridors and seemed to startle the boy who jumped. His eyes were blotchy and he looked nothing like the confident Hufflepuff seeker she'd known. He immediately seemed embarrassed that she'd caught him crying and wiped his face on the sleeve of his blue sweater.

"Didn't hear you" he sniffed quickly, "it's um... hay fever"
"Right" Elle smiled awkwardly "do you want to talk about it?"
"About hay fever?" Elle laughed but he didn't seem to reciprocate which made her feel guilty.

Elle moved and sat down beside him with her back against the wall. She sat there for a moment quietly as they stared down the corridor as though expecting Peeves to jump out of one of the classrooms and alarm them.

"I won't mention it to anyone" she stated truthfully,
"Thanks" he muttered "it's just all the stress of the tournament and exams... it's a lot to take on"
"Yeah it must be difficult" Elle pondered, she'd found it hard last year to juggle her Owls along with her quidditch practice but she imagined the stress of the tournament must be a lot more pressing.

"You did great in the last task, I was rooting for you" she smiled cheerfully in hopes of lifting his spirits, he nodded happily but didn't say anything. Elle wondered whether she should have just left the boy in peace. Did he find her presence uncomfortable. She shifted to move beginning to believe that she never should have come when she felt his hand on her arm.

"Don't leave" he murmured "it's worse being alone" Elle slid back down onto the floor and gazed at him sadly. The amount of pressure he was under from the school was incomprehensible. Most students were hoping he'd win, although some supported Potter many still believed he'd cheated his way into the tournament.

"You can talk about it, I've always thought that helps" she added supportively,
"It's a lot more stressful than I expected... the tournament. At first I thought that three tasks over a whole school year seemed not much, I thought that it would give me plenty of time to study and have fun... you know have a good school year. I also thought that the tasks wouldn't be as hard as they are, I mean fighting a dragon, if someone had told me that's what I'd be doing I probably wouldn't have signed up"

"Yeah that came as quite a shock, you are all young after all" Cedric nodded in agreement,
"I'm glad I'm the champion because... well Hufflepuff deserve some glory, I feel like a lot of the time we're seen as the useless house, I wanted to prove that wasn't the case"
"I'd say you've been doing exactly that so far, I definitely won't underestimate Hufflepuff again" Elle smiled.