𝟑𝟏 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐞

After an awkward evening of avoiding Anakin and keeping my head lowered throughout the many courses of  the grand meal we were provided, I slept a restless sleep. Nightmares, memories from the night of the gala, losing the baby, killing Athena, Anakin's death. All of it was too much for me even to consider one good nights sleep anymore.

The next morning came eventually, as the sweet Naboo sun crept through my blinds. I got up for breakfast. Still not managing to find my clothes the previous night, Zac had lent me one of his under-tunics to wear as pyjamas. With my petite  figure, the large, grey, cotton top felt more like a dress.

I yawned and rubbed my eyes tiredly as I padded down to the kitchen. As I started down the stairs, I heard several voices from below. Reaching the bottom of the curling staircase, I was greeted by the sight of Zac, Kayla and Anakin circled round a large holotable and on that table showed the hologram figures of Master Yoda, Obi-Wan and Master Windu.

Anakin noticed my presence first, he turned his head to acknowledge me (GIF above. Obviously the GIF is set in Coruscant but just focus on his expression, not the background) His arms were crossed and he was dressed in his usual dark Jedi robes. He didn't even smile at me, just looked me up and down once then turned back to the table. We hadn't left things on the best of terms last time we spoke.

"Nice of you to finally join us General (y/l/n)" Obi-Wan jested.

"oh, hey (y/n)" Zac nodded at me, smiling gently.

I smiled back and hurried over to join them around the table. My hair fell in a single, loose plait with a few strands that I tucked behind my ears as they fell across my face.

"Sorry I'm late, didn't sleep well" I lowered my head embarrassed at the state of myself. I briefly darted my eyes up to Anakin who was doing everything he could to avoid meeting them, keeping his view on the hologram figures.

"So, what's the status on Coruscant?" Kayla broke the awkward silence.

"The clones are holding their positions around the perimeter of the temple, the empire's soldiers are skilled but we're managing to keep them at bay for now" Mace informed us.

"Do we have any idea who the leader of this empire might be?" I asked,

"that, we do" Yoda murmured "...the supreme chancellor"

"Chancellor Palpatine?! no, it couldn't be" Anakin whispered and stepped back in shock.

who would have thought a man who pledged dedicated his life to the republic, would be the one to betray it

"well, how can we be sure?" Zac questioned.

"We managed to capture one of their soldiers, turns out they're extremely weak-minded and after long hours of interrogation, they gave up the identity of their leader. When we got the chancellors quarters, he had already fled. It's said he's been planning this for years, he was Darth Sidious all along or emperor palpatine as they choose to call him now"

It took us all a few long seconds to digest this new information.

Even when I was a Sith, I had never gotten the chance to meet Darth Sidious in person, only via hologram and even then, he always wore his huge cloak that covered his features from view. Now thinking about it, I had always sensed a weird familiarity when I was around the chancellor, if only i had recognised who he really was, then this would all have been over a long time ago.

Zac was next to break the silence "when can we return to Coruscant? you must need back-"

"NO, you must not return. It is too dangerous, thousands of Clones are being killed each day, it's taking all we have to hold this dreaded army back. No, for now we have assigned you with another task" Mace spoke

"and what would that be?" Kayla asked

"Queen Jamillia of Naboo has asked for you four to educate the younglings of theed, they are more than willing to learn the ways of the Jedi and the force"

"But shouldn't we be training for ourselves? what good will training mere younglings do?" Zac protested.

Everyone shot him a harsh look, it wasn't like a Jedi to argue against helping others. He looked round noticing the offended stares looking over at him and sighed "fine, fine. Training younglings it is"

"Good luck over there, may the force be with you" Anakin said before shutting off the hologram.

We all started for our rooms to get ready, when a protocol droid burst into the room, it swayed back and forth as it tried to keep the pile of clothes in their mechanical hands balanced.

"oh miss (y/n), miss (y/n). I have located your clothes"

I rush over to the droid to take the pile from their arms before they dropped all the clothes onto the floor. Finally.

"Oh thank you so much, that's a relief, I was about to head to training in this" I said, referring to the baggy pyjama tunic I wore.

"aw, that's a shame" Zac muttered from behind me "I thought you looked kinda cute in my clothes" he winked before heading up the stairs to his room.