Let it Go

JEFF'S POV: 

     I did not want Jack to know I was upset. I sent him a text last night and never received one back, despite him being the one to share his phone number. My guess was that Jack sent me a fake phone number and I was looking silly at this point sending him texts. 

    I noticed right away that Jack was wearing the same clothes he did yesterday, and he looked even more tired than he did the day before. I was almost concerned for a moment, but then remembering he ignored my texts brought the anger out of me again.

     Liu and I came to school earlier because Liu had to discuss a project with a friend and he insisted I come early to school with him. I did not expect to see Jack come this early as well. He started trying to talk to me, but I could not convince myself that he really wanted to be my friend at this point in time. I waited hours for Jack to text back, as dramatic as it sounded. I even skipped on sleep anxiously awaiting Jack's reply. I just wanted to let him know my phone number. That was all. And... maybe for us to start texting each other. 

     I told Jack that I had a meeting with a teacher, which was a big lie. What can I say?! I needed an excuse to get away. When I turned the corner away from the ginger boy, I did indeed fell guilty. But this is my weakness... being gullible. This was how people had always hurt me in the past and I'm done with that.  

     Eventually, more students began to come. One of those students included Toby, and we tore ourselves away from the majority of the students, talking about random stuff till class started. When the bell rang, the two of use walked close by, heading to our shared homeroom class. 

     "Hey. Have you seen Jack?" Toby asked out of nowhere. 

     "No." I lied through my teeth, keeping my gaze ahead of us. 

     " Aw dang!" Toby said. "I hope he's okay. I haven't seen him yet at all." 

     "Me neither." I've always found it easy to lie to Toby, as horrible as it sounds. 

     "You guys share math class together, right?" I simply nodded me head. "Hopefully he shows up." All of Toby's random talks about Jack had made me curious.... he's never had much interest in anyone else before. Why now? 

     "Why you all of a sudden interested in Jack?" I asked curiously as we continued walking down the hall. 

    "More like for you." Toby's words caught me off guard. "I've never seen you laugh or smile around anyone," Toby stated. "...except for me of course," he added cockily. I let my eyes drift to the floor as I thought over what my friend just said. We were about to split up to attend our individual homerooms before we were considered late after the second bell. That was before Toby had to mention, "I think Jack is really good for you. You already look much happier with him around." 

    It would be very hard for me to try to ignore Jack after my best friend made that comment about him. So I eventually let go of my stubbornness and gave Jack my attention later that day.