So this is it?

JEFF'S POV:

     Of course I'd be stupid if I did not expect my friends to hear the news. Especially considering if Liu told them.

     I walked straight into the food line once it was lunch time. This time it was a pizza slice. It looked way too oily to ingest, but I'm not complaining. I knew something was wrong the minute I arrived at our table. Jack was watching me as I sat down opposite him. Toby followed to sit by my side. Usually, Jack would have his perfect smile on the second he saw me. But there was no smile there, just a frown taking its place. Even Toby looked uncomfortable. His ticks were more intense, and he nearly hit my head as he done so. 

    "How are you?" I tried to smile, but it did not look so realistic. Jack broke his gaze with me to stare at Toby. I was watching as like their eyes tried to communicate. Toby diverted his gaze down to his clenched fists in his lap. "Is something wrong...?" There was definitely something wrong. 

    Jack sighed, brushing a hand nervously through his raven hair. He looked very numb. I couldn't read his expression well. Eventually, he murmured, "When were you going to tell me that you were moving?" His voice cracked in the end, as his eyes glistened with incoming tears. 

     I couldn't bear to see Jackie like this. Him crying made me want to cry. "I didn't want you to be sad," as I said this, I had to look down at my untouched pizza. I was too weak to look him in the eyes. 

    "It's better I know now then later, though." I nodded my head along. 

     "Liu said you guys were leaving Sunday of next week?" Toby added in. My voice couldn't work, so I just nodded again. Even Toby sounded sad. I mean, he'd better... he's my best friend. 

     "So is this it?" Jack hesitantly asked. I knew what he meant by that sentence. I didn't have an answer to it. But I never want to say bye. 

     After some thought, I shook my head. 

     Jack laughed bitterly. "Don't make a promise you cannot keep," Jack hissed a tad angry. "You know there is nothing you can do to stop the move." With that, Jack just got up from his seat and ran out of the cafeteria. He was in such a rush that he forgot about his lunch box. I was left completely dumbfounded. I think Toby was too, as we sat frozen in place. 

    Toby broke the silence of our table as he whispered, "....is there something going on between you two..?" 

     "It doesn't matter now," I gritted through my teeth. 

    The rest of the lunch period was driven in silence. I couldn't even muster the energy to take a bite out of my pizza, despite my growling stomach. 

    And I did not see Jackie for the rest of the day.