Chapter 49

He heard screams, that echoed off every wall around him. He wasn't allowed to leave his room during those nights. Even if he could, he wouldn't. Some nights his mom would stay in his room, she said it was to make sure he was okay but he knew that she couldn't handle the girls screams either. For the first week, he didn't know who it was until one night he had to the courage to walk to the basement. There she was, her brown hair stuck to her face as if the sweat and tears were like super glue. Even though she was asleep she still let out small whimpers. Those are the sounds that haunt him in his dreams, her whimpers over powered her screams that have been dug into his memory. He could still see her freckles even though she was covered in dirt and blood. He could see the bruises that masked her face. He would spend his nights after that, while everyone was asleep he would sit by the door. He didn't want her to be alone.

"Draco?"

"Earth to Draco?" A giggle transported him back to reality. There she was, smiling as if that was all a dream.

"Sleep walking?" She laughed

"Oh, uh no. Sorry, just waiting for the Ravenclaw prefect. We have rounds tonight." He said

"I'm walking that way now, care to join?" She asked, "I have detention in an hour so I'm just wandering for now."

"Yeah sure." He began to walk with her, she was humming softly. Her hair was in a messy bun and her bangs were set perfect on her face. Nothing was sticking to her. He noticed her ear, it wasn't like that when he found her.

"Maeve..."

"I know it was you." His heart stopped, "the one who saved me. You gave me my wand."

"I didn't know it was you at first." He said, guilt radiating off him.

"I know." She smiled, "I wouldn't be here if you did."

"I'm sorry."

"Draco, you're not your parents. You didn't ask for this."

"How did you figure it out?" He asked, "that it was me."

"I'm very good at remembering people's mannerism or the sound of how they walk. Or their voices." She paused, "i picked up on your dad's voice pretty early on."

"Oh."

"I can only assume you're the one who was sending down extra food?" She looked over at him.

"That was mum."

"Well tell her thank you, as well." She smiled. That had made it to the Ravenclaw door. "Well this is you, I best be off. Wouldn't want you to be caught with a puff." She laughed, walking off

"Maeve."

"I won't tell anyone Draco." She turned around, there was not hatred in her voice or in her eyes. "Like I said, we are not our parents."

"How are you standing?" He looked at her, "like nothing happened."

"I'm really good at hiding." She had a painful smile. "you should talk to Snape."

"What?"

"The nightmares? He gives me Dreamless Sleep. It helps." She smiled. And then she was off.

When she got to her office, she paused before she knocked. She took a deep breath, and knocked.

"Yes, come in." She heard the troll.

When she walked in, it was covered in pink and there was a wall of plates that were decorated with cats. This was nothing like Rems office. It was very nauseating, she hated the color pink. Then she saw a dark haired boy facing away from the door.