Chapter 96

Maeve was in Freds grasp, as Ron and George let go. Harry stood and watched, it was painful to watch her deal with the horcrux, it was painful to hear her fears. That she compared herself to him, and how she feared Sirius would chose him over her. He walked over to the girl, taking her from Fred and engulfing her in a hug. She let out a sob in his chest, which felt like knives digging into him. He looked up and saw Fred crying. For the first time since Harry had known him, Fred seemed to be lost for words.

"And now," said Harry as they broke apart, "all we've got to do is find that tent again."

But it was not difficult.  With Fred not letting go of Maeve's hand and George as close as he could be to her, the journey back seemed to take a surprisingly short time. Harry could not wait to wake Hermione, and it was with quickening excitement that he entered the tent.It was gloriously warm after the pool and the forest, the only illumination the bluebell flames still shimmering in a bowl on the floor. Hermione was fast asleep, curled up under her blankets, and did not move until Harry had said her name several times.

"Hermione!"

She stirred, then sat up quickly, pushing her hair out of her face.

"What's wrong? Harry? Are you all right?"

"It's okay, everything's fine. More than fine, I'm great. Look who's here."

"What do you mean? Who—?"

As if, the twins and Maeve weren't there, she saw Ron, who stood there holding the sword and dripping onto the carpet. Hermione slid out of her bunk and moved like a sleepwalker toward Ron, her eyes upon his pale face. She stopped right in front of him, her lips slightly parted, her eyes wide. Ron gave a weak hopeful smile and half raised his arms. Hermione launched herself forward and started punching every inch of him that she could reach.

 Hermione launched herself forward and started punching every inch of him that she could reach

"Ouch...ow... gerroff! What the? Hermione! OW!"

"You...complete...arse...Ronald...Weasley!"

Maeve looked up at the twins with an amused smile.

She punctuated every word with a blow, Ron backed away, shielding his head as Hermione advanced.

"You-- crawl-- back-- here-- after-- weeks-- and-- weeks-- oh, where's my wand?"

She looked as though ready to wrestle it out of Harry's hands and he reacted instinctively.

"Protego!"

The invisible shield erupted between Ron and Hermione. The force of it knocked her backward onto the floor. Spitting hair out of her mouth, she leapt up again.

"Hermione!" said Harry. "Calm--"

"I will not calm down!" she screamed. Never before had he seen her lose control like this; she looked quite demented. "Give me back my wand! Give it back to me!"