Chapter 53

The moon was at its highest, Maeve and Julia were sitting in the astronomy tower on Saturday night.

"How was your date?"

"It was really good, I feel bad about hiding this from him. But I don't really want anyone to know until we successfully do it."

"I get that. Melvin keeps asking me what we're up to. He says were acting weird." She laughed, "I said, you're talking about Maeve, she's always acting weird."

"I said the same thing to Fred." Maeve laughed.

"So, what we just keep it in out mouth for a month, and then take the potion and say the spell?"

"Yeah, so on the 26th next month we can take it out. Just in time for halloween." Maeve said, "we just got to make sure we keep them in our mouth the whole time, we can't speak that much either."

"I think we can do it." Julia said, taking the leaf out of the paper bag, "ready?"

"Born ready!" Maeve said taking the leaf. The two put it in their mouths, and automatically gagged, "this might actually be hard."

"This is disgusting." Julia laughed

"Well I have two extra if we mess up."

It had been three weeks since the girls started their side project. Fred was getting a bit annoyed that Mae was denying his kisses, he thought that she was going to break up with him. They were at dinner when George noticed she wasn't touching her food.

"Why aren't you eating?" He asked

"Oh um, big lunch." She lied

"You barely touched your lunch." Fred spat, she could tell he was getting frustrated with her this past month.

"Right, well after Potions me and Julia snuck off to the kitchens and the elves made us a big snack." He could tell she's lying, Maeve never let mashed potatoes go to waste.

After dinner, Fred and George walked away, and Fred didn't say goodbye to Maeve, George was confused.

"Fred?" Maeve called after him

"What?!" He didn't mean to snap that hard at her, "Sorry, what?"

"Never mind, I just thought you'd walk with me." She felt really hurt, "But I guess i'll just see you two later." She began to walk away but Fred caught up to her.

"Im sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you tonight."

"You've been doing that all week, and when you're not, you don't even look at me." She said looking up at him, "Like right now, you're not even looking at me." She grabbed his chin, moving his face to face her, "Whats going on."

"It's easier to not talk to you." She felt hurt

"Why?" she asked.

"Cause if I don't talk to you, then you don't get the chance to break up with me."

Maeve began to laugh, and then began to laugh harder, trying hard not let the leaf fall out.

"Why are you laughing? I'm being serious Maeve, you're acting like you don't like me. You keep denying my kisses."

"Ugh, Fred. I'm not going to break up with you. I just didn't want you to kiss me... well because I'm doing something. And it'll be done in a week. And I promise i'll kiss you as much as you want." Fred was confused

"What are you doing, Mae? You and Julia have been so weird lately. You're not eating, this is the most I've heard you talk this past month."

"It's just a project."